The Sewing Place

need some sort of finger protection!

sewingj

need some sort of finger protection!
« on: October 14, 2018, 17:17:53 PM »
This afternoon I`ve been hand-sewing a hem - I`m right handed and  fingers on my left hand are now suffering from having the needle stuck into them repeatedly!  I need something I can put on my finger to protect it but I`ve never been able to get on with a metal thimble.  I`m sure there must be something available but I don`t really know what I`m looking for.
Help!

Lachica

Re: need some sort of finger protection!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 17:31:47 PM »
I saw a plastic thingy with an open back on a stall at ally pally. I think it was made by Prym. Looked a lot more comfortable than a conventional thimble.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 17:49:13 PM »
There are also silicone plastic thimbles being made and they are quite inexpensive.

Sounds like you may have a bit of a coordination problem. Much of sewing is about learning the manipulation of the fabric. Mom sat me in her lap to play with needle, thread and fabric as an infant. I was well into my 40's before I watched her "help"me reupholster my sofa and learned how I had been improperly handling the fabric on upholstery jobs for years. Literally took 20 seconds!

Think about watching some Youtube videos, and consider keeping a stash of fabric ready to practice on from time to time.  Starting with easier scraps and graduating to something like a rayon challis.

Anything placed on the left hand will most likely feel cumbersome. As you hem, its important to realize you should only be grabbing one tiny yarn of the side of the fabric that will show.  If you are constantly pricking yourself, you may be grabbing too much fabric.

Good Luck!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 18:20:58 PM »
I have one of these and it is brilliant.  I have never been able to use a metal thimble, and I had tried rigid plastic ones and leather and fabric ones - both useless.  This one stays on but also makes me feel as though i'm still in control of my finger!

They come in different sizes, so you need to get the right one.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 19:04:09 PM »
What about something like this.  I saw some on Sewing Quarter too. I don't have one as I am unable to hand sew due to injury, but I think you would still be able to feel whilst using them.  :) :vintage:

https://mezzocouture.com/2011/07/05/happy-fingers/

There are many ready-made leather thimbles if you search.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 20:03:49 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 00:07:19 AM »
After years of wishing I could use a thimble (of any kind - I've tried metal, leather, and flexible rubber with a metal tip - couldn't get on with any of them) I bought these.

I was a bit dubious at first when I saw them, but I started using them yesterday and they're marvellous - you don't even know you're wearing them but they give good protection. The backing is really sticky as well, and doesn't shift around. Plus - they're re-usable many times. I just take them off and stick them to the inside of my pin box for the next time I need them.

Everybody's individual but they work for me. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »
Thimbles are for protecting the finger which pushes the needle - if you are right handed it's one of the fingers on the right hand, usually the middle finger.  Not stabbing the fingers of the other hand is, as Esme said, a combination of hand co-ordination and skill = practice.

I first started to use a thimble when I was at school and we learned to do smocking.  All that gathering meant that my right hand fingers were very sore.  Since then I've always used a thimble and I find it quite difficult to hand sew without one.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
Years ago I had a plastic guard that fitted round my index finger left hand but I founs it didn't give much so was a bit awkward. You could try something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Leather-finger-guard-protector-closed-open-ended-sewing-stitching-craft/291064565820?epid=1188398667&hash=item43c4ccd03c:g:KOwAAOxygPtS4ny6:rk:20:pf:0
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Holly Berry

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 10:20:56 AM »
I have one of the Prym ergonomic thimbles and the metal tips as described by @Kenora. Both work well to protect the finger pushing the needle. I’ve not come across anything to protect the other hand. Do you hold the fabric over the fingers of your other hand? Maybe you could protect with some micropore tape?
Procrastination get behind me

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 14:10:58 PM »
Micropore's a good idea - sounds like it might work. >:)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Holly Berry

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 15:32:48 PM »
. Do you hold the fabric over the fingers of your other hand? Maybe you could protect with some micropore tape?

Yes I do - perhaps this is the wrong way to do it but I think I`m too old to change!  I`ve sent for some ridiculously cheap leather finger guards that are coming from China via Ebay

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 17:33:24 PM »
And finally - chain mail gloves as worn by butchers.   :P
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m