The Sewing Place

Fabworks Sewcial event 3 November

sewmuchmore

Fabworks Sewcial event 3 November
« on: October 15, 2018, 17:13:10 PM »
info here
I am away that day otherwise I would have been first in the queue.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ellabella

Re: Fabworks Sewcial event 3 November
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:24:22 AM »
Just booked this.  I've plumped for the frock workshop and am now giddy with excitment. :frock: :toast: :D

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:48:28 AM »
Just booked this.  I've plumped for the frock workshop and am now giddy with excitment. :frock: :toast: :D
Let us know how you get on @Ellabella, wish I was going now.

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »
Yum yum. looks great fun!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 17:32:18 PM »
@Ellabella How was it, did you have a good time?

Janet

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 23:26:32 PM »
@sewmuchmore it was wonderful.  It was way out of my comfort zone, I usually shy away from groups where I don't know anyone else but everyone was very friendly and supportive. 

The workshops were in a nice light room and had good equipment.  Nice new Janome machines with plenty of things like scissors and threads if you had forgotten your own.

I made https://sewdifferent.co.uk/tulip-dress-multisize-sewing-pattern-available-paper-download/ and was pleasantly surprised.  I don't usually wear dresses but like this one. I used this Airforce blue ponte https://www.1stforfabrics.co.uk/product/ponte-roma-heavy-jersey-air-force-blue/ and it sewed beautifully.

Had I been sewing it at home the finish inside would have been slightly better but that would have taken longer and I can always polish it up when I get my sewing room back .

I'd post a picture but the light in this bungalow is terrible.

We had a very good lunch and I stayed for the evening do which had a light meal included.

The goody bags were excellent, lots of zips, thread, buttons and ribbons, also a fat quarter from the Denim Company which I have earmarked for a dress for my new grandaughter.

I resisted the temptation to buy any fabric but saw some lovely stuff from the Denim Co and also Fabworks.

I'm definately up for the next one.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 03:17:27 AM »
Glad you had such a good time, do give more details!  How big was the group?  What was your lunch like?
Saw this when I was in Fabworks last week and thought it sounded fun,  but no chance of being able to get there. Does the dress suit most shapes? I am 'an inverted triangle' and thought it might make me look enormous. I do hope you can manage a picture when you get home.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 09:11:15 AM »
Ella I am sooo pleased that youre finally dipping your toe back into sewing ...

It sounds quite a grand event and quite large .. how many peeps went? was there an even split between dress, coat and bag? enough room to sew? Enough irons (or do you not use irons in dressmaking??)

Pics are a must asap please xxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 15:15:29 PM »
There were 6 peeps making the dress, two doing the coat and I think 4 doing the bag.

The dress is really nice and forgiving.  I am a good size larger than usual, think lots of comfort eating recently :'( and I have found it very easy to wear.  I used a lovely ponte and it hangs really well. I was a little nervous that it would make my bum look huge as Icarry most of my weight round my middle but I have been pleasantly surprised.  There was a fashon show in the evening showcasing Sew Different patterns and it was really interesting to see the dress in a variety of fabrics.

Her patterns are very true to size, none of the vast amounts of ease the Big4 use.

The coat workshop would not have been for me, the coat was not my style at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyQSmj0i4RU

but one lady made one in a fab purple wool and it really suited her.  Tree's style is not mine but the lady herself is lovely.

I didn't take too much notice of the bag workshop but people seemed happy with their results.

The room and equipment were good, plenty of everything and no need to queue for the iron.

The catering was fine, soup, bread and nice sandwiches at lunchtime and a light salad/flan thing in the evening followed by Eton Mess.

I had to leave just before the end of the evening do but the was a catwalk show and then a talk by  a blogger/vlogger.

It was just so lovely to be sewing again and I will certainly make the tulip dress again.

Just looking forward to getting my own sewing room back again, hopefully by christmas 0_0

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 15:21:38 PM »
Oh, @Ellabella I am so glad you're likely to be back home by Christmas!    :D  Fingers are crossed!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 15:24:19 PM »
@Ellabella ... Moving back before Christmas  :o :loveit:

I really hope you do but make sure to keep your address up to date for The Secret Santa Swap !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 18:53:40 PM »
So glad you enjoyed it, wish I could have gone. Don't suppose they said when the next event is. I was in Fabworks today but forgot to ask.

Janet

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 20:11:22 PM »
There's Sew Place Like Home!   :S
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m