The Sewing Place

Toy pattern

snoozi soozi

Toy pattern
« on: October 15, 2018, 22:13:26 PM »
Apologies but I didn't know which category this falls into, I'm banking on a moderator helping out with that....
Are there any toy making experts among you?! I'm attempting a Jo Carter pattern for a stuffed elephant, my aim is to make it into a doorstop.  It's a free pattern from simply sewing magazine from aeons ago, my first try at anything along these lines. I've had a couple of head-scratching frustrating 'moments' already but figured them out and rectified them successfully.
Now I need to sew the back legs, each leg is just one piece; but I'm beginning to think there may be a pattern piece missing...let me explain.

The back legs are as fat as the front legs and all four legs have the same size of bottom foot to stitch onto them. The front legs consist of two pieces - inner and outer. The only pattern piece for the back leg is called inner back leg, methinks if it was just one piece it wouldn't have the magic word inner to describe it...?!

I've stitched up the front legs already and stitched the bottom foot onto them, this worked out nicely so I just know the back legs are not going to be big/fat enough.

I've searched online for any advice/youtube vids/anything but drawn a blank   :S

Sorry for rambling, I hope this makes sense to somebody and maybe some of you have attempted a toy pattern before, perhaps this particular one.  I don't want to abandon it but I feel that its main aim in my life is to make me cry  :'(
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ploshkin

Re: Toy pattern
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 22:26:03 PM »
Are the 4 legs made up separately and then sewn on to a body or does the outer body piece(s) incorporate legs.  If the latter I would expect there to be an underbody piece which would incorporate the inner legs.
Life's too short for ironing.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:34:54 AM »
Jo Carter demonstrates her toys on Sewing Quarter.  From my research (well, what else do I have to do at 3:30am?), she demonstrated the elephant on Thursday 14th December 2017 and Tuesday 20th March 2018.  On the December programme, she concentrated on the legs.  These programmes are available on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ky6FhdZkM&feature=youtu.be&t=475

snoozi soozi

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »
Thanks for that, I will sit down and watch the sewing quarter link and hope it sheds some light on everything  :P

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 20:07:27 PM »
How are you getting on, @snoozi soozi ?  I'd love to see a pic when it's done.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 20:19:42 PM »
@Pearl Hi there, I'm ashamed to say I haven't been anywhere near my elephant since receiving the advice.  I did watch the sewing quarter demo but my trouble is i get so impatient with all the guff that goes along with it that i skip forward and usually miss an important bit  :S I made myself a car boot tidy to give my brain a rest.  I will keep you posted on the elephant; just for now I'm making a practice one from scraps so when it comes to the real thing I'll put a pic up.

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 20:23:24 PM »
A practice one from scraps is a good idea.  (Agree about the guff - stopping with all the chatter and get on with the sewing.)

I have a Luna Lapin cut out ready for a bit of hand sewing next week. 

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 04:40:01 AM »
When I was 16, I decided making my two favorite little girls that I sat for often a set of Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls for Christmas sounded like a good idea - and it was cost effective.

Let's just say, each received an Ann only - they turned out great - but what work!

I still have my two favorite dolls from childhood - a German Zapf and an Italian Furga. Each has its own "stash" - collected for almost 40 years - me thinking that I'd live to dress them for holidays/seasons.  All I've ever done is bought them shoes and rhey are still in their half century old dresses.

I always need a blouse, or a room needs painting....or a toilet plugs up....or a headlight needs replacing.

Sew on the toy when you have the patience and it will turn out great.!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 07:52:44 AM »
@Esme866 exactly that, they always seem like a good idea but it's quite tricky. I had a fair idea that it wouldn't be plain sailing but as with most things you get your first one out the way and you gain more confidence for them.

@Pearl Do you do much hand sewing? That has always been my pet-hate. Well, apart from buttonholes...

Pearl

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 17:13:50 PM »

@Pearl Do you do much hand sewing?

This is the first toy I have made in a long time.  I usually do kantha stitching.

ETA That was supposed to include an image.

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 17:16:31 PM »
This one.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 17:49:05 PM »
The url you're using is wrong - I'd guess that there's something missing from the end of it.

[Edited to add that the image isn't showing in Firefox or Edge, but is in Chrome.  Apparently this is because it's a Chrome HTML Document.]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 18:34:29 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 18:07:03 PM »
@Pearl that looks lovely. I have spent this afternoon on my elephant and after a lot of unpicking and going back four/five stages it transpired that i had stitched one of the previous leg pieces upside down  :P 

Progress made and i'm a lot further on, but i have to say i've encountered deep levels of despair and frustration on this project.  I'll get back to it in a few days and then i can look around for suitable fabric for the 'real' one yippee

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 06:48:04 AM »
i've encountered deep levels of despair and frustration

Think how the poor elephant feels with an upside down leg!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 10:54:50 AM »
I want to try Kantha stitching @Pearl  I saw lots of it in Bengal.
Triumph of hope over experience :D