The Sewing Place

Holes caused by jeans

Greybird

Holes caused by jeans
« on: October 17, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
I am really fed up with the holes that appear in tops caused by the abrasive action of jeans against the inside. It seems to happen so quickly.

I am intending to try and build in protection against this when I make the tops. My dilemma is how to do it. I could use a bonding web and glue a piece of the fabric to the inside - the downsides to this are that it would show up especially on lighter colours and just delay the process. I could sew a strip of the fabric right across the front - sewn into the seams but otherwise left loose or I could double up the fabric for the entire front as long as it isn't too heavy.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have!

Greybird

Re: Holes caused by jeans
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »
On some it's the top corner of the waistband that curls outwards, on others it's the bottom corner of the waistband and the top edge of the zip cover (I'm sure that's not the right name for it but my mind's gone blank!) that sticks outwards. Either way, it's very abrasive and wears holes very quickly. Perhaps it's my peculiar shape that exacerbates it, but there was a thread on the old forum about it so I know I'm not alone! I've just reached the point where I have to solve the problem because two tops I made fairly recently are already showing signs of wear!

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 12:31:11 PM »
Never heard of that, I must say  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Samantha

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 13:58:03 PM »
What about an wide stretchy band to cover the tops of your jeans? Like a maternity belly band type thing?

PS please don't take offence, I am not implying you have a large tummy, just thought it would be an easy solution to make something like that to cover your jeans rather than adapt your tops.

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 15:05:06 PM »
No I'm not offended! As it happens I don't have a particularly large tummy. What I would be worried about in putting something over the jeans is that the top would ride up whilst I'm doing things and the whatever it is underneath would be on show - unnoticed by me!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 17:18:34 PM »
Not something I've ever come across either, not even when I was thin.  Nowadays, my waistband is somewhere deep inside a couple of rolls of flab, so my tops are perfectly safe  :| 0_0

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 17:36:17 PM »
I wear lots of t-shirt tops with jeans and very often find little holes on the front.
I assume it's because I spend a lot of time sitting at the sewing machine all day with my middle rubbing against the edge of the table, and my top's rubbing against the metal jeans button...maybe?
The holes appear in the right area.

Sometimes, I can be bothered to do little hand stitches to pull the holes back together. But at other times.... :[

Sandra.
xxx

Yellowfeather

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 18:57:30 PM »
I agree with Sandra, as i spend a lot of time sitting/standing and sewing.  It is really annoying, but not sure there is an awful lot you can do about it.  Maybe it could be an excuse for more shopping??? :D

Esme866

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 20:19:27 PM »
Most jeans jave a full front fly.

I began sewing these in  all of my trousers when I was a teen. A fake fly will not protect whatever is behind them.

You might just need to press the full fly flat so that it protects your shirts (in my case its my underpants). Maybe even just stretching them into proper alignment as they come out of the dryer will do.

If, by chance, your jeans do not have a full front fly -that would be the culprit.

ambro0

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 21:31:18 PM »
I had little holes appear in one of my newt-shirts when wearing jeans. I found that it was from my tummy rubbing on the kitchen bench when I was doing food prep.
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 21:50:32 PM »
Do you always wear tops that cover the front of your jeans?  or do you also wear the jeans with a tucked in shirt?

IMO, unless you are very slim, the front fly with a button, the belt loops and the belt if you wear one often show in silhouette under tops.  It looks much neater if you go for a side zip.  There's no reason why you can't use denim and felled seams but with the zip to the side so that the trousers look like jeans if you are wearing tops outside the waistband.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 22:24:29 PM »
@Esme866 - if only the fly (I knew there was a name for it!) would stay pressed in wear! I think it might be because I am extremely short waisted that it pushes out and causes the problem. I have only a couple of inches between the bottom of my ribs and the top of my hips. I do wear tops over the top of jeans and no longer wear shirts tucked in.

@BrendaP - when I make trousers I always do either a side zip or one in the back and I don't get the problem with trousers (some tops I only wear with trousers). I have never yet made jeans - perhaps I should try? They wouldn't really be jeans with a side zip though would they? I am attached to wearing jeans. I think I was one of the first children in England to wear them. We had American next door neighbours who took me to the PX store at the USAF base in Bushy Park near Kingston-upon-Thames. No-one I knew had ever seen them before - this was the early 50s. I have worn them ever since.

Esme866

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 22:34:21 PM »
I've a very short rise also - probably why we both like jeans.

You may just need to make certain the bottom of the fly facing is tacked properly. Not all of them are, as my undies occasionally suffer a bit of wear.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 20:19:02 PM »
I've had the little hole problem too - never even thought it could be caused by trousers - just thought I was unlucky. Currently got a light sweater suffering from it - trying to decide whether to fix it or bin it.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !