The Sewing Place

Thai silk

Mocarroll

Thai silk
« on: October 18, 2018, 13:10:46 PM »
Someone has given me this piece of beautiful Thai silk, probably about 30 years old. Any ideas what I could make with it.?  I thought maybe a tunic with a stand collar and placket at the neckline?  Any suggestions gratefully considered.  I do love the vibrant colours an I think there’s about 4 metres but it’s not very wide.

Greybird

Re: Thai silk
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 13:58:01 PM »
That's lovely! What beautiful colours. What about a tunic style jacket with a stand collar? Would look good with trousers that match one of the colours. Any leftover bits would make a nice cushion if you can't use it any other way.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 14:38:22 PM »
Ooh that's lovely. How about Kwiksew 4195? here
I've made several tops with this pattern and they have always turned out really well. It doesn't have any darts though, so if you are someone who needs a FBA this pattern might not be so good.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 16:31:29 PM »
I made a skirt from Thai silk maybe 20, or even 30 years ago.  It was bright pink overprinted with black and washed well though in time the colour did soften a little as did the fabric.  I suggest you do prewash the fabric.  Be prepared for the colour to run - and overlock or zig-zag the cut edges first, they look as though they are already starting to fray.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 21:22:38 PM »
Fabulous colours. A jacket would be nice.  Or a simple dress.  I'd probably try and keep to styles without too many darts that would break up the pattern.

Esme866

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 04:15:04 AM »
Beautiful piece of fabric.

I'd make a favorite tunic top and use it for special evenings out, where I wanted to look good and feel comfy.

I never water launder silk, destroys the hand, the sheen and the color saturation everytime it hits the water. This piece in particular looks as if all three would be quickly effected. The extra pressing after water laundering doesn't usually do it any favors either.

Mocarroll

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
@Tamnymore I love that pattern!  It would be challenging matching the checks at the waist seam but I think it would work for me.  The vertical darts would give the illusion of a waist, even if mine has long gone!  @Esme866 you’ve frightened me a bit now, what do you mean by “water laundering” ?  I was going to pre-wash the silk, now I’m thinking it will crease like mad and pressing seams will also be challenging.  Any ideas?

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »
@Mocarroll there are no darts in the Kwiksew pattern.It hangs quite loose - which suits me but might not be for everyone!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »
You may want to check the seam slippage of your beautiful fabric first, Thai silk is notorious in that regard.
Cut off 2 small pieces, sew them together and pull strongly on both sides of the seam. When the yarns of the fabrics ‘move’ and you can see the sewing thread, you have a problem. In that case, if you want to make a fitted garment, you’d have to underline it.
When it comes to washing, best to test it on a small piece too.

Seweasy

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 10:38:21 AM »
Love the fabric, what about a lightweight, longish length spring/ summer coat......you could add a bit of color contrast on the collar/pockets to break the pattern up, if you thought it too much......
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:40:57 AM by Seweasy »
I'm so much better at buying fabric, than  I am at using it up....

Esme866

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 16:36:18 PM »
If the fabric has a bit of a crisp hand, it will usually wrinkle like mad even if hand washed. Silk can only take so much heat, so pressing/ironing for wearing purposes is quite a chore-plus a press cloth is usually required.

I just find dry cleaning much more satisfactory for most silks. They simply hold up better and maintain "that special feeling" for a much longer time.

I often give all of my dry clean only garments a "sniff" test after wearing. Allow to hang overnight ' out in the room - not in a closet. Overnight in a clean trash bag with a bit of odor neutralizer can also help. Saves money - and even dry cleaning wears on the fibers.

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 02:00:20 AM »
Love the fabric, what about a lightweight, longish length spring/ summer coat......you could add a bit of color contrast on the collar/pockets to break the pattern up, if you thought it too much......

What a great idea. To compensate for a lack of fabric (you mentioned a narrow width) you could pick a colour from the check and a solid coloured fabric for under collar, non-visible part of facing (below the lapels, etc.)...