The Sewing Place

Bernina 1008

Happymrsg

Bernina 1008
« on: October 18, 2018, 23:18:19 PM »
I have always wanted a Bernina sewing machine & I may have an oppurtunity to buy a used Bernina 1008.
Is there anything I should ask when I speak to the seller? And can you advise me how do I decide how much to offer?

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks

Gernella

Re: Bernina 1008
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
Have you had a look on Ebay to see what they are going for, that can usually give you an idea.  Funnily enough last time I looked (I've hung my nose of the 1015) prices seemed to have come down a bit.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 14:00:39 PM »
Have a 1020 which isn't entirely dissimilar so that would be a good comparison too. Ignore the highest price & look for ended sales for the price paid rather than asked for.

Ebay is usually a little cheaper than getting one from a dealer but more than you'd expect from a private sale I'd suggest.

Fabulous machines so good luck.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Happymrsg

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 18:22:33 PM »
Sadly I didn't get that machine. However I bought a Bernina on eBay today. Very excited.  I saw it last night when I was researching the 1008 and when I found out this morning that the 1008 was sold, I bid on it and won. I've no idea why there were no bids till an hour or so before the auction ended.
Eek I usually only buy low value things on eBay.

Thanks for your help.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 19:37:34 PM »
Was it the Record 730?  £40 was a good price for that, hope it was you!  You will enjoy it.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 20:49:34 PM »
Do tell us more about your machine. I'm sure you'll love it.

I've bought 3 used Berninas off eBay & been very pleased with them all.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Happymrsg

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 23:10:05 PM »
It's a Bernina 830. Unfortunately it wasn't £40, I paid £180 although I had an email with a 10% voucher, so the discount covered the delivery cost.
As I said in my earlier post I usually only buy low value items on eBay. I'm nervous, I hope it's ok. Marniesews - your comment about 3 berninas made me feel better.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 04:40:33 AM »
I  paid a tiny bit more for mine, its lovely.  I was looking for single bids. Seems a couple of people must have used one of those last minute bidding programs.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 23:32:40 PM »
That was a good price @Happymrsg . I've seen plenty of old 830s go for much more.  I'm sure the two of you will be blissful together.  0_0  <3  :sew:

Happymrsg

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 22:04:15 PM »
My Bernina 830  came today. The seller delivered it . I think he was from about an hour drive away. He said it would take him about an hour to package up the machine so he could spend that time driving instead. I was delighted because I had reservations about it being damaged in transit .

Anyway the machine seems fine. It's sewing well. It has a very musty smell which I have no idea how to resolve. It doesn't have the table and doesn't have all the feet, but I think it has the main ones. The foot pedal is a Riccar one, not a Bernina. I'm wondering whether I should take it to be serviced.  Oh, and it was originally bought from Bambers which is my local sewing machine shop  :)

arrow

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 22:22:02 PM »
Do a general cleaning and oiling, the top comes off, so does the top of the free arm. There's a ring you let down, and out comes the hook.

I would not hand it in for service right away, I would check the machine, regular maintanance and do a bit of test sewing. If it was me, I probably would look for any missing feet, complete a full set of 12 bobbins. If there were any speed issues, I would probably get an original pedal too, but if it works as it should, keep the one you have.

Musty smells will air out, keep it out on a table in a heated room. Keep the case open too.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 17:40:51 PM by arrow »

Happymrsg

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »
@arrow thanks for that. I'll give those things a try, starting with leaving it out to air. It has been out on my table overnight, I need to move it now but won't put it in the case.

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 11:11:31 AM »
Well done on getting a Bernina 830 Record – they are beautiful machines.  Apparently this is the one machine that Bernina got totally right, and thus commands high second hand prices.

I inherited my mother’s 830, bought new in 1975, and whilst she had used this it had not been overworked.  I happened to make a note of the feet that came with this machine and then added a few more.  So the machine originally came with the following:

Zig Zag foot no. 000
Embroidery foot no. 030
Overlock foot no. 470
Blind Stitch foot no. 016
Buttonhole foot no. 452
Tailor Tacking foot no. 419
Pin Tuck foot no. 028
Zipper foot no. 007
Darning foot  no number on this.
(However I have a feeling that Mum was given two free feet at the time of the purchase, one being the pin tuck foot)

I know you said you are near Bambers, and a long time ago there was a link to Bambers where they showed what happened to an older Bernina during servicing, so perhaps go and search the internet to see if you can find this.  I buy all my Bernina accessories direct from Bernina (Bogod) in Cardiff which is their warehouse.  The two ladies there Rachel and Jackie are really helpful and go that extra mile to help (I happen to have two Bernina sewing machines and two Bernina overlockers) and I know that they have lists of the appropriate feet and attachments for the older Berninas.  Bernina - well Bogod Machine Company’s Cardiff phone number is 029 2079 2079  Now I know that dealers will order feet/accessories for you, but I found that sometimes I had to wait until they had a big enough order to put in and then still pay for postage and packing!  By ordering direct from Bernina I do not have to wait, often the package arrives within the next day or two, and I am paying exactly the same price plus postage and packing.  This also ensures that I have the exact foot/accessory for my particular machine as over the years Bernina have changed the numbers on the feet, and have now categorised the numbers on feet for particular machines.

Two feet which I find absolutely essential and so useful on the old 830 are the Edge Stitch Foot which is No. 10, and an indulgence that is the Straight Stitch Foot no.13 and a straight stitch needle plate – Cardiff could tell you whether these last two are still available.

I have also found that by religiously cleaning and oiling around the bobbin area that the machine is always purring along, it is amazing just how much fluff and debris from the needle penetration accumulates down there, and it does not take long to do.

I find the instruction manual excellent, and it was in following the instructions in this manual that I found the corded buttonholes – these now feature in my sewing today a lot!!!!!

One word of warning, when I decided this machine ought to be serviced (nobody knew whether my mother had ever had this serviced and this was now 2003) it cost me over £100, they had to change the bobbin winder and change the electric plug on the cable to one that had the prongs sheathed if you know what I mean.

Keep on looking on e-bay and asking around any Bernina dealers as to whether they have an extension table for this 830 machine – you  may just be lucky, as often these machines when no longer repairable are broken up for spares.

Spend an afternoon getting to know your new machine, they are beauties, and if you were a member of the old forum you will recall the name Hevsi – she had one of these 830’s and said that the embroidery stitches, particularly the satin stitch were divine, they just stitch out so perfectly – so have fun.

Happymrsg

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 19:28:56 PM »
@Elnnina thank you so much for taking the trouble with your post to give me so much info. I've opened it up today and around the bobbin was really clean. Sadly I didn't have time to do much sewing.
I'll look at the feet I have, I've definitely got the basics and look at your other recommendations.