The Sewing Place

Dress for the holiday season contest - anyone interested?

Manuela

Dress for the holiday season contest - anyone interested?
« on: October 19, 2018, 00:03:45 AM »
What does everybody think about a festive or not so festive dress for the holidays competition? Are there any takers?

I can almost smell the festive season, hence apart from maybbe something like this I don’t really want to start a contest for the sake of starting a contest. If there is enough interest, I’d be more than happy to set it up as the last contest. It doesn’t have to be a dress, it can be an outfit  :).

Greybird

Re: Dress for the holiday season contest - anyone interested?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 19:05:46 PM »
It's a lovely idea and I would love to take part except that in our present situation (looking after Mum), I shan't be going to any festive events. All I shall be doing is cooking Christmas lunch for all the family waifs and strays! I do hope that others enter though - will look forward to seeing the entries.

Sonatine

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 19:33:56 PM »
I won't have any events to wear a festive dress to but I'd love the excuse to make one!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 19:54:54 PM »
That's an idea @Sonatine!  I won't be going anywhere that calls for a posh dress, but it would be lovely to make one.  I don't suppose I will have the time though.   -<

I will probably be making a new blouse for Christmas Day (to wear with the best of my black trousers) - I'm not sure whether that would qualify for this competition as it wouldn't be a whole outfit.

Actually, I'm not sure it would really be the right sort of thing for the contest anyway - probably a bit too ordinary.

I seem to have talked myself out of it...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 19:56:52 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 01:53:47 AM »
Hmm, do I discover a distincs lack of enthusiasm here....?
Point taken, we could postpone it to next year and do a ‘Posh Frock Contest’ with the aim of creating an outfit that would suit the contestants’ needs (wedding guest, function, party, or just to have a posh frock).

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 06:32:33 AM »
@Greybird I'm a waif and stray and my ex sister-in-law has a few of us over for boxing day every year. It's by far my favourite day of the year. The age range this year will be 16-82 and we will play old games on modern devices and have a great meal and a great laugh.

Thank you to the angels who take in the waifs and strays and give them their own category!  <3
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »
No, thank you @wrenkins - it's actually the waifs and strays that give us a great Christmas and we love to have them.

Not really practical, but if it is postponed until next year. wouldn't it be nice if there was a festive TSP event to wear them to. The judging could be the highlight of the evening!

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »
Frocktails anyone?...

How about a social, I think that's a great idea....and Birmingham IS very central lol
We could do a sewing meet up with  a dressup drinky meet in the evening.
C'est moi!

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 10:39:52 AM »
Never go anywhere or do anything social around the festive season, ( or any other time). I've never had a "posh frock"  :(. Sometimes I don't even get dressed on the day itself  :ninja:
Love to see your dresses though  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
Frocktails anyone?...
....and Birmingham IS very central lol

So is Hong Kong  :devil:

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
Everywhere is central to somewhere  :)
There are several 'Halfways' round here and I always think that they must be halfway between an infinite number of pairs of places.

Afraid I'm like Lowena, I've not needed a posh frock for years and I've never had a really posh one anyway.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 12:10:56 PM »
Frocktails anyone?...

....and Birmingham IS very central lol

I reckon where I live is pretty central - or halfway (up the east coast of Lincolnshire anyway)

And back to the original thought, I don't go anywhere/do anything to warrant dressing up at Christmas, and definitely don't do posh frocks.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 17:43:00 PM »
What's a posh frock?  ;)
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 17:50:42 PM »
I think it's one you haven't worn while gardening.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 00:40:36 AM »
What's a posh frock?  ;)

I can tell you what it’s not... any of the horrid dresses shown in the Channel 4 ‘The Posh Frock Shop’ program  :devil: