The Sewing Place

Opinions on cordless irons

Ploshkin

Opinions on cordless irons
« on: October 20, 2018, 21:15:31 PM »
I don't do ironing - max one or two garments but I always have the iron switched on when I'm sewing (sometimes for days if I forget it  :o)

I have a cheapy supermarket Tefal iron which is ok for sewing purposes but as my space is a bit restricted it frequently takes a dive on to the floor when the cord gets snagged.  I've never thought about a cordless iron until I noticed my mum's ancient Phillips one yesterday, in fact I don't think I knew of their existence.  Reviews seem to be very mixed.  Do any of you have experience of one or a recommendation on what is best to have and best to avoid.
Life's too short for ironing.

Tamnymore

Re: Opinions on cordless irons
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 22:28:11 PM »
I did have one a few years ago but it lost heat too quickly so I didn't like it. Now I use one of those steam generator irons with a big reservoir to work up a head of steam.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Pinkstar

Re: Opinions on cordless irons
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 17:31:29 PM »
As Tamny says they loose heat quickly.  Fine if you're only using the iron for a quick press/iron, but if there's a long seam or quite a few small pieces to press its annoying constantly putting it back on the base and having to wait for it to reheat.