The Sewing Place

My new iron

Gernella

My new iron
« on: October 22, 2018, 13:15:09 PM »
I have to say I am not impressed with my new Steam Generator, although everything is 'more' than the old one. 

The iron itself is lighter but for for some reason feels heavier.  My old one makes around a 10 second grunting noise (pulling water into the bottom bit) and thereafter you get around 45 minutes of steam.  This one sort of makes a quiet grunt all the time but steam does not seem as prolific, unless you want to do vertical steaming then it is in abundance.

There again I don't seem to need as much steam or heat due to my new Brabantia ironing board.  Don't know what they've got underneath the top sheet but it  works.  No steamed windows at all, until the vertical steaming try out.

Plus points, the whole unit is far lighter than the other one and the cord does not have to be left to cool down after use. Also the iron has a lock on it to hold it in place while stored away, which is good as I've had a few dropping incidents in the past.  I suppose I will get used to it eventually.

The old steam generator is now in the sewing room.  The sole plate was a bit messy so I tried my new Pyrm stick stuff on it.  No instructions in English so just put in on the hot plate like some other stuff I had.  Worked a treat until I started getting close to see how shiny clean it made it and nearly gassed myself with the smell. :S
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Nevis5

Re: My new iron
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 19:16:54 PM »
I hate those iron cleaner sticks, @Gernella  !  Last time I bought an iron, the sales person recommended cream cleaner (like Jif, or Cif or whatever it's called now) on a slightly damp cloth on a cool iron.  Worked OK for me and no noxious fumes.  I use a J cloth and then clean off any slight residue with a clean damp cloth.

I too have a newish steam generator which I'm struggling to love.  This one (a Bosch) takes a while to heat up, the steam is WOW but I've burned my fingers twice because of it, and the stupid thing insists on turning off after only 8 minutes' rest. I then have to wait until it wakes up again.  Pressing takes ages longer now, I'm tending to wait until I have several seams' worth at a time and then switching it on - not good sewing practice methinks.  Sigh.  I suppose I'll get to love it in the end. 

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 05:36:20 AM »
I'm still using my plain Shark iron. Uses distilled water so it still steams quite well after 10+ years.

Someone on another sewing site mentioned using dryer sheets to clean an iron plate. Works fantastic and couldn't be any easier. Just lay a dryer sheet on a few paper towels or old rags and run the hot iron over the dryer sheet 4-5 times. Then run iron over a clean towel or rag to remove the oily residue the sheet makes and the iron is spotless. Easy peasy.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 07:34:21 AM »
Worked a treat until I started getting close to see how shiny clean it made it and nearly gassed myself with the smell. :S
First LOL of the day! Thanks @Gernella0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
I've no idea how you clean the new one, it has a grungy grey ceramic sole plate with little trenches in (can't think of another word to describe them).  I think I liked shiny better but that's progress and beats an iron on a little platform being shoved into the fire.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Nevis5

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 15:22:35 PM »
My previous iron, which was a Philips, had a ceramic sole and I used the cream cleaner on that, @Gernella .  I hate that job though so have been training myself to always use a press cloth (although I did stick a big piece of interfacing to that the other day, not having noticed it was upside down, sigh).

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 15:37:39 PM »
I had a lovely pressing cloth that I got from Sew Today around 6 or 7 yeas ago.  Worked like a dream (in the sewing room) until about a fortnight ago and I interfaced part of a collar using bits and pieces.  One must have been upside down, which has happened before but with no consequences.  This time for some reason the pressing cloth pulled into holes when I removed it.  Must have got weakened over the years.

I've got some sort of stuff, Pierre D'Argent that I use on a stainless steel sink I could use that, although I shall be try to be good and not get anything stuck to it, especially since this one seems to work on a much lower heat..