The Sewing Place

Right, Darksiders, time to get back to it!

Lowena

Right, Darksiders, time to get back to it!
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:57:27 AM »
No more excuses, this part of the board has been languishing in apathy for too long ( apart from a hardy bunch of BOMers )
Time to get regalvanised!
What are you all going to make / making this autumn / winter? Pattern, dimensions, colours, fabrics?
Please don't be shy, you'll inspire others and hopefully some lightsiders might even give us a whirl  :ninja:

Me? ( I hear you ask ) well........ great changes are afoot ...... I have decided to give multitasking a go!
I am still working on my Fancy Forest Quilt ( don't know why, it's a bu**er ) then I have started a quilt for a friend; next I am going to make some lavender bags for the charity shop and finally, I'm going to begin another Elizabeth Hartman pattern.......Awesome Ocean.
Hopefully, there will always be something I feel like working on.
Hitherto I have always done one project at a time," from cradle to grave" but when I get stuck or fed up, I have nowhere to go, so, wish me luck with my new pathway  ;)

Right.....your challenge........as Jo Brand would say on GBBO ES......"Show us your makes"!!!!!!!!!
Don't let the Darkside die  :S
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:07:21 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

Re: Right, Darksiders, time to get back to it!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:34:29 AM »
Funny you should say that Low!

I am planning a quilt for my goddaughter (hopefully to arrive just before or as her new baby sister does.

It will be roughly 4 ft square and in the same design as my By the Sea quilt, but with 4 inch triangles instead of 5 inch:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I want it to be practical, and for her to drag it around and take it outside etc, so the background colour will be dark blue, probably with little stars, or something that stops it from being too boring.

I also want it to have things for her to look at, so each of the chevron stripes will have fabrics with pictures.  The bottom row will be under the sea, then (maybe) the beach, then plants and flowers, then trees and birds, then the sky.

Or something like that.

I'm going to Calico Kate's on Saturday.   :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:37:27 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 10:58:22 AM »
Who are you and what have you done with Lowena?  Is one of your new projects green?

I don't know what happened but after FoQ, I didn't feel like sewing.  I have only done the red thing since.
This week, I have been working on DS1's disappearing nine patch.  The blocks are finished and I'm sewing the rows.  I'll be back soon with a hundred questions about the borders and quilting.   

I've got about nine UFOs and I really would like to get some finished before the end of the year.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
That looks like a great project @Acorn  and no @Pearl  I haven't been abducted by aliens, I just needed a kick up the a*** to get me back into sewing again  :P Not got so far as allowing the devil's colour to make an appearance, but, .... you never know  ;) :ninja:

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »
 Yes, I was thinking the forum was a bit quiet recently. I’ve made an I spy baby cushion for a friend to give as a gift and have now started on grandson’s advent calendar . He’s 18 months , but didn’t really need one last year. Here are some photos. Advent calendar now has its pockets numbers and attached, but the real time is in making all the little decorations. I’ll make one for my 3 month old granddaughter too ( different child’s child) , but that might have to wait until next year, though I am considering making the decorations 2 at a time.

WendyW

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 14:46:37 PM »
I've got a couple UFOs I'd like to finish up. First is a quilt for my own bed- essential if I ever want to complete the master bedroom makeover I've been planning for years. The other is a twin size for my granddaughter using this Safari pattern. I've got all the individual squares done, but it's been on hold because they can't move her to a bigger bed until they get a bigger house.

Our monthly quilting workshops for charity start this Saturday, so charity quilts will be a large part of my sewing for the winter, including about 15 flannel crib quilts to complete between now and Thanksgiving. And now that I've processed THAT timeline, those will move to the top of my to-do list. I've got a month to complete 15 quilts!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 15:13:21 PM by WendyW »

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 17:06:47 PM »
I've come back - got my blue and white instant gratification on hold until the batting arrives from Doughty's.

I've started cutting out the blocks for the Elizabeth Hartmann Flamingoes but again I'm stymied until I can get to a proper shop shop to get some neutral for the  block backgrounds. Generally I will use up odds and sods but I think this will look more modern if I stick to one colour for the background, given the random sizes and shapes of each bit.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 18:16:28 PM »
I seem to be in the sewing doldrums at the moment quilting and other sewing wise.  I haven't got a reason to make quilt at the moment and am lacking in inspiration anyway but something will pop into my head I hope.  My main sewing season starts once the clocks go back.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 21:30:04 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 19:16:54 PM »
 I've also got UFOs at various stages. Hallowe'en quilt sandwiched and basted, waiting for quilting. Two more Hallowe'en tops made. Thinking of getting out  a partially done Christmas flip and sew I started last year. It's all cut-top is made of 5 quarter yard pieces cut into 2 long strips, with another piece cut to cover the ends. All cut, batting and back spray basted, top cut and order arranged. Could probably do it in a day, two tops, if I'd just get started.

Haven't sewn a stitch since February. Just finished 3 months of physical therapy on my neck. Need to see if I can sew without two much pain. I miss it, the sewing, but would rather "miss" the pain.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

maliw

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 20:27:12 PM »
No sewing for me at the moment as I've got an ear infection and Labyrinthitis - again. I'm struggling with a quilt for DGS2 that has been on going for months as I fell out with it. When that is done I've got 2 jackets to make for DD so no 'dark side' for me for ---------?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

twopence

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 21:27:42 PM »
@maliw I hope you recover soon.  Labyrinthitis is awful, my DD1 suffers from it.

I have several PhD's hanging round that need seeing to.

I am making myself an EPP table runner by handsewing octagons and kites.  The kites are white and the octagons are from the box of Kafe Fassett fat quarters that DS and partner gave me for Christmas last year.  It is quite fiddly because you need to sew each side of the octagon separately as if you try and sew round the points slip.  I need more fabric to make the borders backing and binding so need to get the fabrics out again to see which one to use.  I was hoping to have it on the table when they fly in from Canada on my birthday but I think that may be very hopeful.

I have two BOM's from last year that I intend to turn into cushions as presents this year, then there's what I bought at FOQ and am I doing anything for OH's grand daughter and great nephew for Christmas.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »
Please see my post on "Wednesday 24th October" to see what a 'mare I'm having trying to match up seams  :angry:

Deafoldbat

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 19:23:20 PM »
It's time I did some sewing. I have no idea what I want to make, or if i want to make anything. Do I need another quilt to sit in the cupboard? But just in case inspiration strikes....I've ordered some (more) fabric, to go with the stuff I bought at FoQ and other places this year. Maybe I'll then have enough to make whatever it is that is waiting for me to make it. Or not.  ;)

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 09:01:16 AM »
I am beavering away quietly in the background girls ... honest!

I have been somewhat distracted from Novembers BOM by my birthday gift from the wonderful Sakar, an Oakshott F8ths of Snapdragon ...

which made me realise that I do hold the worlds Oakshott Reserves ... Gulp! .. So I have decided to actually do something with them, above and beyond of course , stroking them in the middle of the night whispering ... My Precious ... to them!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:18:14 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 08:38:18 AM »
We’ve had a bit of an IT crisis the last few weeks: moving from BT , so had to move email address, mobile phones, all our contacts , old emails etc. Then to cap it all our pc gave up the ghost and I was having to fight with husband for access to the ipad
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:40:06 AM by Sheilago »