The Sewing Place

The Dolls' Wardrobe

toileandtrouble

Re: Doll's wardrobe
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 08:40:28 AM »
I started out on doll clothes too. In those days you could buy half a yard of patterned wincyette or an ounce of wool for pocket money (and I didn't have much).  I saved all the dolls knitting patterns from Womans Weekly and pasted them into an old school notebook, which I still have. My "children" all had matching nighties, including one armed teddy. No dolls sewing patterns then.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Lachica

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 22:06:16 PM »
Doll has jeans, complete with yellow 'seam' stitching, mock fly. Red t shirt with foiled heart, fastens at back otherwise the arms wouldn't go into sleeves. Jacket collar has come out a bit narrow but I won't be unpicking. This doll is 30 years old, she will stay at our house. GD will meet her next weekend.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:29:18 AM by Iminei »
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 22:15:25 PM »
She looks like a Tiny Tears!  I still have my Tiny Tears.  She's sitting on a shelf in the corner of my sewing room/study.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 22:32:47 PM »
@Acorn she probably is, but she doesn't cry. I don't know why the photo has rotated either :'(
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 18:02:12 PM »
And a dress.
Mary

WendyW

The Dolls' Wardrobe
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »
A thread for sharing the creations for, and the lives of, the little "people" in our families. Dolls of all shapes and sizes welcome here.

WendyW

Re: The Dolls' Wardrobe
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2018, 02:22:57 AM »
I've spent the last 3 days in the sewing room sewing doll clothes. I make things for a local handmade goods shop, and I have yet to hit on any items that are big sellers. I'm hoping doll clothes will at least be a good seller for the Christmas season. Here's my creations so far. I have made multiples of each item, but forgot to take pics of the whole collection before turning them in for display.  My model is Phoebe, an AG knock-off from a big-box store. Her hair is a bit messy from changing her clothes many times and I failed to remind her to comb it before taking photos.

Hat and poncho sets. Super easy and quick.
18in poncho set by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Peplum top and matching skirt.
18in peplum set by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Flannel nightgowns for our frigid winter nights.
18in nightgown by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Cheerleader costumes. This one is the colors and initials for my local schools, but I also have made them for several surrounding towns.
18in cheerleader by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:39:49 AM by WendyW »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2018, 03:20:08 AM »
@WendyW those are quite nice. The nightgown looks so cozy. Good luck with the selling of them all. Those handcrafted stores can be tricky. Locally they've pretty much died out as mostly people used them as ideas of stuff to make.

Which doll is that? Is that Our Generation? My "girl" Noelle was from Kmart of all places a few years ago just before they changed vendors on the dolls. Now they have fixed eyes and are Newberry dolls. I forget the line name from before but the dolls were made by Madame Alexander, which was the top US doll maker when I was a kid so I was quite pleased.. Noelle has sleep eyes and pretty good pivot range of motion in her joints. She also has a vinyl shoulder and upper chest area so the lower cut and strapless items look a bit tidier then a total cloth body, in my opinion of course. I think if I were a kid it wouldn't matter one bit.

I'm working on clothes for 18" play dolls they call them, like the American Girl dolls. The first commercial pattern I set out to use was for flannel pyjamas and robe. Good grief: they had all the same pieces as a full size pattern, typical pattern notches and button holes sized for 1/4" buttons and details down to piping the edge of the shirt.  :S I have enough trouble with all of those things in my size..... :'( I am very slow at them. My hands get stiff a lot and my eyes ? They need some help now I'm afraid.  0_0

I admire anything that actually gets finished in the small scales. And to the people who say it's so relaxing and so much fun, I am decidedly suspicious of that.  ><
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

WendyW

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 04:04:13 AM »
Yes, she is an Our Generation doll. I found her at a garage sale last year for 25c! Her hair was in horrible shape and had to be trimmed. She has a lock of hair on top that "grows" when pulled. That's the part I braided. I liked that when I found her, because I had a Crissy doll as a child that did the same, but now I don't like it because the knob in the middle of her back makes some clothes fit funny. I've got my eyes open for another doll that I can use as a display in the store.

The store I'm selling in is doing well in general. Our town is a particularly good spot for this as we are a destination for antique and rehabbed furnishings and get a lot of people coming out from the ritzy suburbs in the city. There is a wide variety of crafts people represented; it's just the sewing that doesn't do very well. It's a very labor-intensive resulting in prices that don't compete well with stuff made in China.

The pattern for the cheer outfit said to finish the neck and armholes with bias tape. No way was I messing with something that fiddly on an item that I was mass producing. They all got fully lined instead. Much faster and nicer. The nightgown pattern is from AG, and it's also extra-fiddly. I have another similar pattern with easier construction that I'll use next time. Doll clothes can be tricky, but Barbie clothes are MUCH worse! Tried those when I was a kid and never again. I'm not into self torture.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 07:45:38 AM »
Great find with that doll Wendy. I like the look of the Our Generation Dolls.

Tricky; yes. All those little 1/4" seams- nothing to hold on to when you sew them up.

Barbie was rough. I have a beautiful collection that my Aunt made. She did a set for both of her nieces, maybe two dozen garments, all very glamorous, circa 1960. The wedding gowns have a full train, full lining and were hand beaded! Our Aunt had no children and adored us two girls.  :loveit:

I did excel at dressing my Troll dolls. Long strip of felt with 3 oval holes snipped in for the arms. Yes, the Trolls loved wrap dresses. I then used fabric glue to attach trims to dress some of them up.

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2018, 08:35:30 AM »
Tricky; yes. All those little 1/4" seams- nothing to hold on to when you sew them up.

Mwahaha .... :devil: Welcome to the Darkside puny Lightsiders 

I did excel at dressing my Troll dolls. Long strip of felt with 3 oval holes snipped in for the arms

Oh!!! Maybe we have underestimated you .. Maybe you Dolldressers have slipped through crack in the Darksides floorboards already ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 09:29:15 AM »
Those are lovely @WendyW . Dolls are not really my thing but I remember making Action Man clothes when my son was young using the ribbed tops of the children's socks to make polo neck jumpers with. I admire your dexterity in achieving those results.

fajita

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 22:24:48 PM »
  Would my Luna Lapin toys fit in here?  They have clothes!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2018, 01:04:00 AM »
@Lachica Pixie Faire sells 5" and 6" separating zips for the hoodies so they are out there. They ship internationally I believe in case you can't find a closer supplier

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »
@Fajita, most emphatically yes!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again