The Sewing Place

The Dolls' Wardrobe

Renegade Sewist

Re: The Dolls' Wardrobe
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »
@Fajita Luna Lapin is a cloth doll that just happens to be a bunny. I love her Christmas ensemble!

How did you make her magnificent whiskers? They are beyond awesome.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

fajita

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »
The whiskers very very easy. Just some waxed cord which I found in my stash, can't remember it's original purpose. Thread it through a toy makers needle, knot one end, and poke needle through the already stuffed head. (The instructions say to use elastic cord).

justpottering

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 10:01:06 AM »
I have a keen interest in Victorian fashion and have been collecting pieces of suitable fabrics and dolls for years in the hope of dressing them in Victorian dress
I want to dress them from the undies upwards and use sewing techniques as well
My biggest problem has been finding dolls that look like grown up ladies rather than children but I will persevere

I haven’t had any time to actually do it but have done lots of planning and research for it

I’d also like to make dolls house people too

Maybe in my new life in Devon?

DD loved her Barbies and she and I made clothes for them  :)
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

fajita

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »
You could make your own dolls, @justpottering

Acorn

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2018, 11:29:22 AM »
OK, with this thread growing such a good pair of legs, the Barbie thread, and other toy stuff, we've decided we will open a dolls/toys child board.

It will have to wait until later though, because I'm on the way to the beach!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sandra

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »
I must admit, I like dolly clothes. Never been a fan of the solid, stiff body dolls, but I like the miniature clothes they wear...miniature anything really.

I loved the Lilydoll range which came out when my daughter was little. They were soft bodied rag dolls and they were dressed in some lovely styles.
I bought quite a few  ><  and all the clothes. We had quite a collection and my lovely Dad made a wardrobe, and a chest of drawers for all the clothes to go in.  :) He's very talented with woodwork (and metal work).
I'll have to look them out and put a picture on here for you to see.
He even made little wooden coat-hangers for them.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
He even made little wooden coat-hangers for them.

Awwwww!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

justpottering

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2018, 13:45:46 PM »
I used to make rag dolls to sell at market but the rules got so silly that they were prohibitive so I stopped doing them although every new baby in the family gets one  :)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 13:48:27 PM by justpottering »
JP

Sandra

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2018, 15:32:28 PM »
I've looked them out and taken a couple of pictures.  :)

The doll's are about 16 inches tall. Wardrobe stands at 23 inches tall. Dad inlaid the darker wood strips, and made it with a non-breakable mirror in the door. You can just about see the wooden hanger with the black skirt...also, there's one hanging off the chest of drawers...just about visible.
The clothes worn by the dolls are Lilydoll RTW. They have some lovely outfits.

There's also a chair, a table and a four-poster bed for the dolls...all made by my Dad.

I made the red skirt which is on the floor. It's red corduroy, and also the black skirt hanging on the wardrobe door and the blue crinkle cotton one. I made a couple of white cotton shirts too.

Sandra.
xxx

justpottering

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2018, 15:56:34 PM »
When my daughter was little I always bought books for Christmas and birthday and made a model of the central character this spread to her cousins and more recently to my great nieces

We used to have a lovely local bookshop (which sadly has gone the way of many small independent bookshops) and I showed the owner what I did she asked for some to add to their displays and from that used to have customers asking where they could get them so I had a number of orders
I’ve done so many animals over the years last ones being a blue elephant a penguin and a duck
It’s such a lovely thing to do the child in question gets to cuddle/play with the characters from the book and I love making them

JP

Lachica

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2018, 18:48:23 PM »
@Sandra what s talented Dad!. The dolls & clothes are lovely too. @justpottering that's a great idea. I've been asked for a Book bag for GD but have no inspiration to do it. Apparently it's a decorated bag with Eg finger puppets or stuffed toy characters. I promised a Gruffalo one but prefer making dresses
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lachica

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2018, 18:56:17 PM »
@Renegade Sewist thanks for the details. @Fajita I love your Luna lapin, you have more patients I do.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2018, 22:12:58 PM »
OK, with this thread growing such a good pair of legs, the Barbie thread, and other toy stuff, we've decided we will open a dolls/toys child board.

YAY!!!  :*

It will have to wait until later though, because I'm on the way to the beach!

Double yay!!!

Enjoy the beach and than s Mods for the child board.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.