The Sewing Place

Fabric Adhesive?

crafter

Fabric Adhesive?
« on: October 23, 2018, 23:49:24 PM »
I am making some crafty stuff for the school Christmas Fair.  Lots of the items are padded with iron on fleece and I have used up the bit I had in stock.  I do have several metres of curtain interlining (bump) which I think would do use as well but I would like it to be attached to the fabric whilst I manoeuvre it through the sewing process.  I don't want to have to baste it.

Is there a, probably spray on, adhesive that will very lightly secure the top fabric to the interlining.  I have tried spray on starch but that wasn't particularly effective.

Marniesews

Re: Fabric Adhesive?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 01:28:01 AM »
Odif 505 temporary fabric spray? The surface of the bump is a bit fluffy so it won't make a firm attachment all over but that's not what you're looking for so it may well be sufficient. I know quilters use it but I'm not sure if they use it with wadding. If so, you can be pretty certain it'll do the job.

Otherwise… what is the outer fabric? I have both bump & the spray so could test it out for you if it's cotton or something similar. It'd save you buying a can if it's ineffective.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 08:22:13 AM »
505 spray adhesive does work with waddling.  I've used it for quilts. It's rather expensive and as its an aerosol and can't be posted.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 08:24:59 AM »
505 spray adhesive does work with waddling.  I've used it for quilts. It's rather expensive and as its an aerosol and can't be posted.
I have had 505 spray delivered, I think it's just Royal Mail who are fussy about it, other carriers will deliver.  If it's on a website they will deliver it.
I can't vouch for how well it works, I've not really used it!

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 08:57:59 AM »
I've had this one delivered by Amazon several times, and it works brilliantly at sticking wadding to fabric. 

BTW the only thing about it that's violet (as per the title) is the can!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 10:03:42 AM »
I get 505 spray delivered by post regularly, both by Royal Mail and DPD
Triumph of hope over experience :D

crafter

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 19:52:38 PM »
Thanks ladies, I have ordered the one that @Acorn suggested as it described exactly what I want to do.  £7.99 though.  I hope it lasts a long time.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »
I've ordered that too @Acorn  so it'd better be good  :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D