The Sewing Place

Repairing a knit jumper

countrygal

Repairing a knit jumper
« on: December 16, 2018, 20:22:52 PM »
Hi all,

Hope this is the right board to put this on. I've been doing some wardrobe care and a favourite jumper of mine like this one on the right from mama and me's page has got a small hole in the arm and the wool has come lose. Does anyone know how to fix this as I've never worked with knitted things before and I don't want to just throw it out. Any advice or tips will be so much appreciated!
Thanks in advance  <3

BrendaP

Re: Repairing a knit jumper
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 20:29:51 PM »
A photo would help.  Is it a snag that's broken? an unravelled seam? or has the yarn worn so thin there's nothing left?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 22:26:55 PM »
I have repaired very small holes using a needle and ordinary sewing thread - working through the back of the knitted stitches and gently pulling them into place as far as possible. You could also try a bit of Bondaweb backed with a small piece of cotton lawn or something similarly lightweight. Neither is a very good solution but you don't have a lot to lose by trying.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 23:44:09 PM »
If you could show us a photo of the damage it would help enormously, if you can't and it helps I've repaired knits with a crochet hook just imitating the stitches. It looks similar to blackberry stitch which though a bit fiddly can be done without looking like an obvious repair but you'll need a bit of patience. Good luck

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 08:10:23 AM »
I don't knit or crochet so those are not really options for me.
I repaired DBFs wool jumper by buying some closely matching wool darning thread from a haberdashery and used a tapestry needle to sew across the holes into OK knitting. It was a visible repair but DBF seemed happy enough.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »
If it's hole which had laddered you do need to start at the bottom and 'rework' each stitch through the next one using a crochet hook or the tip of a knitting needle, and pull the thread through from the back if it's a knit on the front and from the front if it's a purl.

The other main technique is called duplicate stitch.  With a needle and closely matching yarn you simply embroider over the knitting tracing the path of the knitted stitches exactly.  That works best for a thin area. 

If the yarn in the jumper has broken use a matching sewing thread to join the two ends together and then duplicate stitch the area around the break (still using the sewing thread) to strenthen it.  It might still be necessary to hook up any ladders before doing the duplicate stitch.

If it's a seam which has come undone just use a hand needle and resew.  If the original is ovelocked/serged then work closely spaced buttonhole stitches to match the width of the overlocking.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 11:45:54 AM »
For some reason I've had tiny holes on jersey knit tops recently.  I'm not sure whether it is the washer drum doing it.  Fortunately they have been on old stuff that I wear at home.  To cover it up I've put some interfacing on the back, which makes them far less noticeable to old eagle eyes.

I've also got a cashmere cardigan that my sister bought me that has succumbed to two tiny moth holes.  All I've done so far is spray with Indorex  and left.  It is a bit 'dainty' for me and I'm not really a dainty type so only wore once.  I seem to remember it did come with some  spare wool but I'm afraid there is no incentive to do it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 13:28:20 PM »
@Gernella, your holes aren't down to the nasty abrasive bits on jeans waistbands are they? This is a problem I have too and haven't found any good solution for yet.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »
No, @Greybird, they are on the right and left top at the shoulder.   It just seems odd that they have suddenly appeared.  One culprit might have been a RTW top with a fancy band made of chain stuff.  I usually stuff it in a bag to wash but never noticed it and just pushed it in with the rest.  Won't happen again, sent to the charity shop.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

countrygal

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 14:21:47 PM »
@BrendaP and @Surest1tch, sorry for the late response. It's been manic past week or so. I have changed my profile picture to the hole as couldn't find another way to upload it.
Thanks again  <3

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »
@countrygal  I'm not sure from that pic just where the hole is.  I think it might be showing the seam coming undone, but sure. 

Could you post another photo showing all of the garment plus the close up one.  As a non-subscriber I think you can post photos to the gallery, but not into individual posts.