The Sewing Place

Winter coat

Iminei

Re: Winter coat
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2018, 13:05:48 PM »
Yes @Sandra, just the lining, (I think!)

Its sort of like this

except mine is in Burgundy and I added a quarter mock belt bit (??) at the back and cuffs in black velvet when I got it.

It also needs a good clean.  :[

A couple of years back we went out for a lunchtime drink, it was a gorgeous winters day, blue sky, bright sun shafting through the window and when I put the coat on as we left all these dust motes emanated from it,  whirling around me, dancing in the suns rays ... embarrassed moi???
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:31:56 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2018, 15:46:39 PM »
Yes @Sandra, just the lining

It's quite satisfying to replace lining. Use the old lining as your pattern for the new one. Sounds like it would be worth doing. It'll give your coat a new lease of life.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »
I'll wait til the New Year to pop it in the post to you then Sandra, let the backlog of chrimbo cards etc get sorted first..

And Yes, I do have your address ....  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sonatine

« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »
Thank you all for saying such lovely kind things! Sorry it has taken me a while to reply, I couldn't work out the words to say what I'm thinking, so just thank you will have to do. But I really am so grateful for all of the help and encouraging feedback  :sew:

@SewRuthieSews it's such a gorgeous colour combination! And beautifully made

Elnnina

« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2018, 10:20:20 AM »
Sonatine, this is what TSP is all about, how we help one another and that is what makes us so special.  Everyone has different talents and ways of doing things, and you have been encouraged to have a go at making a coat which you have mastered extremely well - setting in your very first sleeve says it all.  Your coat is a lovely shape, and from the photos fits very well - so well done.  Now if you can master making a coat for yourself and in a reasonably short time, you surely will be able to try making lots of other garments.

As sewing has progressed over the years, different ways of making our garments has occurred, for example overlockers were once only in industry, now they are commonplace in our homes and bring an amazing amount of variety to our sewing, also sewing machines have evolved over the years and are now quite sophisticated.  As you have already found out the benefits of using a 'clapper' or in your case a rolling pin when pressing wool and what a difference this has made to tame the edges of your collar, and this gadget can also be used on much thinner and even man made garments to a great effect.  As you begin your sewing journey you will find many different ways of doing things - some you will like and others not so much, your sewing equipment will grow and grow - so just enjoy  all that you sew.

Look forward to seeing what you are going to make next.