The Sewing Place

Winter coat

toileandtrouble

Re: Winter coat
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2018, 23:32:18 PM »
Looking a bit glam!  Cuffs done already?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Silver Rose

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2018, 10:01:42 AM »
That's a lovely coat @Sonatine ,well done.
Still learning

BrendaP

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2018, 10:43:42 AM »
It's looking fantastic. 0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Nevis5

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2018, 11:15:23 AM »
Woohoo!  Looking fabulous, @Sonatine !! :toast:

Kenora

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2018, 00:41:40 AM »
For somebody who wasn't sure about tackling a coat - that's looking really good!  <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sonatine

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2018, 13:03:31 PM »
Thank you for saying such lovely things about it!

Unfortunately hit a problem today, the lining pieces just don't relate to the pattern pieces at all. It's not just a little bit but multiple inches out or on the diagonal. I have no idea what happened when I was cutting out, I checked so many times that it was straight and flat. Luckily the fabric was from John Lewis so I'll have a chance of finding it again and it was only about £3p/m so not a great expense to replace it. Just frustrating to have to redo it!

Sonatine

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2018, 13:17:46 PM »
@Francesca no this is just comparing the lining pieces to the pattern pieces, so it's either the cutting out that did it or transporting the cut pieces before they were sewn (which was unavoidable unfortunately and was done very carefully). I'm tempted to make it up using these anyway, and see how it hangs in the coat before I decide whether to attach it or start the lining over.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2018, 13:32:58 PM »
This is going to sound daft, but could you possibly have the sections mixed up so you are comparing to the wrong pattern pieces?  Especially when there are so many vertical seams, they can look very similar (as I know from joining up the wrong bits) Grainlines will be different in different areas.  Also, don't forget you added length to the coat. Did you also add to the lining? Hope you get it sorted.  Anyhow, the expensive part is fine, which should cheer you up, and it looks lovely.

Sonatine

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2018, 13:44:10 PM »
@toileandtrouble yes definitely the right pattern pieces, I've checked and doubled checked. It's interesting that they all have the same distortion. I've attached a photo of the side back but they all have the same issue of matching at the top but going diagonally off at the skirt.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ploshkin

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2018, 14:01:59 PM »
@Sonatine did you cut the lining with the fabric double.  If so I would imagine that some of the discrepancy could be due to slither.  Where you have cut 2 from a pattern piece, do both pieces have the same distortion?
Life's too short for ironing.

Sonatine

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2018, 14:09:05 PM »
@Francesca in the one pictured it's the same pattern piece for the main fabric, interlining and lining, so it's definitely my error not theirs as it worked the first two times I cut it.

@Ploshkin Yes I did cut it double but both pieces have the same distortion - all six main body lining pieces are distorted in exactly the same way. That's why it's confusing me so much

toileandtrouble

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2018, 16:39:57 PM »
Looks like the fabric got pulled off grain on the first one and then was off for all of them,  Once unpinned the fabric sprang back to the straight.  The tiniest dart at the waist on the long side would pull it back towards the pattern.  You'd have almost a seam around the waist, but you could stitch a ribbon around the lot when they were joined up.  Grainlines would still be a bit out on the skirt sections but it would be better than having a gap along one front edge and too  much on the other.
The bottom hem will also need levelling, but not very much.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:51:19 AM by toileandtrouble »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2018, 15:28:04 PM »
@Sonatine   How is the coat going?  You've made a great job of it so far, love to see the next stage, when you have time (and if you are a student, it might well be too busy with the occasional lecture/essay/tutorial).  I've bought some wool for a winter coat but not had enough time yet to organise the pattern alterations. You are well ahead of me! Hope you are enjoying it.

Sonatine

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2018, 11:01:42 AM »
@toileandtrouble very slow progress now - unfortunately uni is taking up a large portion of my time and the last seam I did (front facing to side lining) had to be unpicked so my motivation is lacking somewhat. Having said that, the bitter wind we've been having recently is a good motivator! I'm hoping to get the assembly completed this week and be on to the hand finishing next week. I hope your coat goes well  :snip:

(I've also somehow managed to get a second coat planned and have bought fabric + B6385 for that, but I'm not starting to even think about that properly until this one is finished. It's going to be a Christmas present so I might wait for term to finish before I start it.)

SkoutSews

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »
Another really good coat pattern, I like it.