The Sewing Place

Winter coat

SewRuthieSews

Re: Winter coat
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2018, 17:06:06 PM »
@Sonatine your finished coat is lovely! Well done, you must be so pleased with it.

After a big gap I am working on mine again. It is a great deal simpler and less tailored than yours.
I am hoping to finish it before Christmas, we shall see.

Acorn

« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2018, 17:13:25 PM »
That is really lovely, and it fits you beautifully.

Mine is waiting until after Christmas now!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2018, 17:16:22 PM »
Your coat is a great success! It looks warm and cosy as well as stylish.

Elnnina

« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2018, 17:19:44 PM »
Sonatine your coat is absolutely beautiful and if you have never tackled a tailored garment before then you have done extremely well.  The coat suits you and what a lovely style.  So glad that the 'rolling pin' came in useful - that is now a very valuable piece of equipment added to your sewing room and will suffice until you can afford something different.

I gather it has been predicted that we are going to have a bad winter a bit like that of 1948 which was pretty awful and cold and snowy, so you will be the one laughing as you go out and about wearing your lovely snug coat - no doubt people will be asking where you got this from - so be prepared with an answer otherwise you may get requests coming in for one just like  - but they will not be prepared to pay you for your time and expertise.

Greybird

« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2018, 19:28:54 PM »
It's really lovely and you should feel very proud of yourself!

Lachica

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2018, 19:58:54 PM »
That is superb. You should be very proud of your workmanship, and no longer count yourself as a beginner. Beware people asking you to make them things, just tell them they can't afford your expert hourly rate.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ploshkin

« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2018, 20:13:06 PM »
Well done @Sonatine that is fabulous and a perfect fit.  Enjoy wearing it.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2018, 22:22:54 PM »
Yes, it's superb!  You should be very proud of your skills. 0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

annieeg

« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2018, 22:54:57 PM »
Really impressive and very well done!
Annieeg

Manuela

« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2018, 23:22:38 PM »
An absolutely gorgeous coat, it fits you beautifully and is very well made. Congratulations  :)

Nevis5

« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2018, 13:10:38 PM »
Wow, @Sonatine , that is stunning!  (and I wish I had your figure, too).  You look amazing.  Enjoy wearing your beautiful coat with pride xx

Iminei

« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2018, 14:00:15 PM »
Bravo!! Sonatine Bravo!!! and for sooo much more than that beautiful coat (you know what I mean!)

Its very like my most favourite coat of all time ever (couple reasons; One of the very rare presents that my Daddy bought for me (1990) it actually fits and looks FABulous!!) whose lining has sadly fallen apart and which will no doubt follow the same way in the next couple of years! I would love to replicate it in all its glory, but ......
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2018, 18:55:43 PM »
That's a gorgeous coat @Sonatine . Love the shape of it with it fitting at the waist and flaring out.  <3

@Iminei  Regarding your most favourite coat of all time ever...Is it just the lining which has disintegrated? If so, it could be relined.

Sandra.
xxx

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2018, 20:49:59 PM »
I have been working on this simple coat very slowly over the last few weeks.

It still needs hemming and a good press but is otherwise complete. I've added a lining in a dark teal satin, and pockets, belt and facing/collar in the slightly lighter teal wool. I think it works quite well.

The pattern was from Prima magazine February 2015.

Elnnina

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »
This is looking good SewRuthieSews,  and so nearly finished, it won't take you too long to finish the hemming, and do not forget that if giving this coat a final pressing is bothering you, take it to the Dry Cleaners and let them work their magic on this for you.

You will be the envy of others wearing your lovely warm coat when the bad weather hits us.