The Sewing Place

Winter coat

Sonatine

Re: Winter coat
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2018, 14:09:05 PM »
@Francesca in the one pictured it's the same pattern piece for the main fabric, interlining and lining, so it's definitely my error not theirs as it worked the first two times I cut it.

@Ploshkin Yes I did cut it double but both pieces have the same distortion - all six main body lining pieces are distorted in exactly the same way. That's why it's confusing me so much

Francesca

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2018, 15:15:12 PM »
That is really bizarre.

I'd probably just construct the lining as you have it and put it in, but leave the lining and wool outer as separate at the bottom of the coat and hem the lining a little shorter (this is a perfectly acceptable way to line a coat and is popular in a lot of older vintage coats I've found so it may fit your aesthetic! It doesn't look like enough of a distortion to cause real problems.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2018, 16:39:57 PM »
Looks like the fabric got pulled off grain on the first one and then was off for all of them,  Once unpinned the fabric sprang back to the straight.  The tiniest dart at the waist on the long side would pull it back towards the pattern.  You'd have almost a seam around the waist, but you could stitch a ribbon around the lot when they were joined up.  Grainlines would still be a bit out on the skirt sections but it would be better than having a gap along one front edge and too  much on the other.
The bottom hem will also need levelling, but not very much.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:51:19 AM by toileandtrouble »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 15:28:04 »
@Sonatine   How is the coat going?  You've made a great job of it so far, love to see the next stage, when you have time (and if you are a student, it might well be too busy with the occasional lecture/essay/tutorial).  I've bought some wool for a winter coat but not had enough time yet to organise the pattern alterations. You are well ahead of me! Hope you are enjoying it.

Sonatine

« Reply #64 on: Today at 11:01:42 »
@toileandtrouble very slow progress now - unfortunately uni is taking up a large portion of my time and the last seam I did (front facing to side lining) had to be unpicked so my motivation is lacking somewhat. Having said that, the bitter wind we've been having recently is a good motivator! I'm hoping to get the assembly completed this week and be on to the hand finishing next week. I hope your coat goes well  :snip:

(I've also somehow managed to get a second coat planned and have bought fabric + B6385 for that, but I'm not starting to even think about that properly until this one is finished. It's going to be a Christmas present so I might wait for term to finish before I start it.)

SkoutSews

« Reply #65 on: Today at 12:12:12 »
Another really good coat pattern, I like it.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #66 on: Today at 12:50:57 »
I like that pattern, rather like the one I am planning, BUT it has that back yoke, and the choice of a funnel neck and A,B,C,D pattern pieces.  Wish I had seen this one before!
Sonatine, I also have a second (secret) pile of fabric. No-one else in my house knows about the navy melton and teal lining. Sssh.