The Sewing Place

Anybody got Butterick 6492?

sewingj

Anybody got Butterick 6492?
« on: October 24, 2018, 16:09:23 PM »
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-loose-knit-tunics-butterick-pattern-6492

I like this a lot but the smaller pattern option  stops at an "M" and the larger starts at "L" and I`m slap bang in the middle so don`t know which to go for.  It would be really helpful if I knew what the finished bust measurement is but I can`t find it anywhere.  (Why do patterns give the finished lower edge width?  Has anyone ever needed to know that?!)

sewmuchmore

Re: Anybody got Butterick 6492?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 16:58:57 PM »
I don't have this but do have a few of her other designs and always find that they are generously sized. It is described as semi fitted so the finished measurement at the bust should be 10 1/2 - 12 1/2 cm (4-5 inch) over and above your measurement.  Personally I would go for medium and increase at bust if need be as the rest of the garment seems pretty loose.

Amended, sorry forgot to say that a lot of the reviews say that the sleeves are tight.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 17:00:58 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 17:02:03 PM »
As it happens @sewingj I have that pattern somewhere and I think that's one I cut out over the summer (but of course not made up yet). I would have cut an XL but I should be able to work out the width as the smaller sizes should be marked on the pattern. I'm travelling at the mo but assuming that's the one I have got I'll see if I can find it and measure it on Friday.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 18:47:42 PM »
Bless you @Tamnymore that would be great.  I did read one review which said it was aimed at people who have overlockers - which I don`t - so I`d be interested to hear your thoughts on that too.  Also there are comments about the top of the pocket being unfinished which seems a bit odd but I reckon I could do something about that

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 12:15:47 PM »
@sewingj the width (I presume width at bust - that's the usual measurement) is given on the main front pattern piece and this will be for the finished article. Bearing in mind that I have the larger sized pattern they are: L - 44.5 inches (113cm), XL - 48.5 inches (123cm), XXL - 52.5 inches (133cm). Also the sleeve widths are given as: : L - 14 3/4 (37cm), XL -15 3/4 (40), XXL - 16 3/4 (42). This will give you an idea of likely widths for size M. It says that the pattern is designed for fabrics with 35% stretch (I suppose this translates into an averagely stretchy fabric). As you have a number of seams in the bodice you do have a bit s scope for grading up a bit if you go for the smaller size range. Here is a picture of the pattern pieces to give you an idea. I must get on with sewing my version!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 12:20:24 PM »
Thanks so much @Tamnymore  - the "M" should be fine for me then.  I have noticed that some patterns overlap the two size ranges which is much better

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 09:00:24 AM »
@Tamnymore   - I`ve done it!  It`s a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle and I managed to put the pocket on completely wrong - twice - but I`m pleased with the end result.  The "M" was fine - but as several reviewers said - the sleeves are tight.  I don`t usually have a problem in this area but had to make a narrower seam allowance for comfort