The Sewing Place

Judy Neimeyer table runner

rubywishes

Judy Neimeyer table runner
« on: October 25, 2018, 06:29:41 AM »
So totally hooked on FPP I decided after finishing work this afternoon I would treat myself to a drive to the LQS and buy this lovely table runner pattern. My intentions are to make one for my sister, and then one for each of my daughters and I am really looking forward to tackling something just a bit smaller than a quilt this time  :). At first glance this pattern looks a bit more complicated than the Desert Sky I just finished but with enthusiasm high and my big girl pants firmly pulled up Benny Hill style I am forging ahead.
I've bought the fabrics (batiks of course :)) for my spikes, borders and binding and tomorrow after work I will set off in search for my 2 background fabrics. So looking forward to getting into it in the next week or two and it will be doubly exciting as I'll be trying the new DX for my piecing.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

Re: Judy Neimeyer table runner
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »
I think you're mad Rubes.....FPP is truly the work of  :devil: but it's a lovely pattern and you'll do it brilliantly  <3
Can't wait to see those lovely batiks in action  :sew:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pinkstar

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 11:30:05 AM »
That is lovely Ruby, it reminds me of a New York Beauty cushion I made for my Mum.

I do like doing FPP.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:03:03 AM »
That's really nice - I love FPP - so easy to get all those points nice and sharp.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 21:53:13 PM »
@rubywishes What is FPP?

Is it the work in your avatar? Because I LOVE that.

I'm not crossing sides just yet, but a have a bedspread (not pieced) planned and I would like a coordinating quilt.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 08:39:05 AM »
Foundation Paper Piecing ....  here

Of which we have been sadly lacking since JUNE !!! :o
I dont suppose anyone has a spare tut lying around for November ????
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:40:47 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 23:41:18 PM »
Well here I am with my first block finished and very chuffed I am! And how exciting....the table runner is going to be too long for my sisters' table so I get to shorten it to suit and that leaves me with one lovely 15" square block to border and bind and use as a centre piece for my dining table....score!!!!
It took me just over 3 hours to cut out all my little bits and pieces and organise them into their little groups and then approximately 7 hours to construct all my "wedges" (32). I'm in the home stretch now just having to join my wedges into the blocks and then put on my borders.....thinking I may diverge from the pattern and forgeo the thin first border and just put on the wider second border. Will have to think about it once the blocks are all sewn together and I can audition my fabrics. The cream background fabric is actually a lovely "tea stained" mottled pattern which picks up the browns and maroons of the feature fabrics really nicely.....it just doesn't show in the photo :'(.
The new DX has been a delight to use; I'm so glad I sold the 8900 and bought this little Juki...he's just the bees knees as far as I'm concerned; handles thick seams like there's no tomorrow and like his big brother the TL, he's a tough, no nonsense bloke (with just a few bells and whistles.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:26:54 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »
You've really got the FPP bug haven't you @rubywishes.  It's going to look fabulous.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 09:57:48 AM »
Oh Good God!
You really are the Foundation Paper Piecing Princess now Rubes!!!   :devil:

I will be expecting a tut from you sometime hon!!!!!

Elnnina

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 10:01:07 AM »
That is stunning, and lucky you to be able to wangle a table centre piece for yourself.

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 07:40:05 AM »
Top finished, backing starched, batting cut and sewn together (I've joined some scraps to make my batting piece) and now waiting to be basted;  just have to zip down to Bunnings (big box hardware shop) tomorrow to get another length of board to cut up as I don't want to cut my large boards up and then I'll be off and running.  :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 08:07:33 AM »
It's looking good
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »
Beautiful Rubes, just beautiful!

Pearl

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »
Beautiful, @rubywishes

I love FPP but have never been interested in Judy Neimeyer's designs - until seeing yours.