The Sewing Place

Quillow for teenage boys

wrenkins

Quillow for teenage boys
« on: October 25, 2018, 08:22:08 AM »
I've more or less decided that I'm going to make 'the boys' TV watching cuddle blankies. Of course as they are 14 and 17 the blankies won't be called that... but that's what they are.  ;) I'm going to make them up as quillows (secret pillows) a la @b15erk.

I'm really struggling to find fabrics that aren't childish. So far I've managed, with the older boy, to find a nice rowing related one here and a couple of football (Man U) ones but the younger boy is proving a bit more of a challenge. He's tractor/farming mad but in a serious grown up way. Not a funny childish cartoon cow kind of way.

Any ideas? I'm going for biggish, straightforward squares and the colour scheme is red, black, white and whatever else I can fit in around their hobbies and pastimes.

If anyone comes across any "big bad wimmin" fabric I may go with that for the 14 year old!!!   :o 0_0 Just kidding!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kad

Re: Quillow for teenage boys
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 08:48:13 AM »
I made DH an insulated lunch bag for when he goes off to events in his Landrover FC 101. I found fabric by Lewis and Irene with Landrovers, and other similar vehicles on, both  a dark blue background and a mid green one - not cutsie at all. Sorry that I have no selvedge to tell me the range but perhaps you'll be able to search for it.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
@wrenkins there are some serious tractor / farming quilting fabrics around.  I'll try and have a look for you when I get a mo but my sister is descending today so may not get a chance for a bit.  In the meantime have a look at JB Quilting Fabrics, you might find something there.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:26:59 AM »
@wrenkins me again.  Just found this, it's 100% cotton curtain fabric so don't know the weight
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
Try repurposing duvet covers or ready made curtains for quilts ....

I know these are cushion covers but I have enough for a quilt if I wanted to make one ...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:13:17 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 10:01:51 AM »
Put 'tractor cotton fabric' in the search bar on eBay.  Surprisingly, there are plenty out there! Who would have thought it...
e.g. this

I also found a general countryside print at The Textile Centre here which might be useful as a filler or background.