The Sewing Place

Hello from the South West

Gavin

Hello from the South West
« on: October 26, 2018, 08:53:51 AM »
Hi,

My name is Gavin, father of four ( 3 girls one boy ), software developer and lover of most types of crafts.

I’ve started learning to use a sewing machine to help my 6 year old daughter who has taken a liking to sewning amongst other crafts.

I have a second hand Eversewn Hero and still mostly confused by it.  I’ve managed to make a few bits on it such as cushion covers and some pencil cases ( although they could have gone better ).

I look forward to learning more and passing on what I learn to my daughter.

Iminei

Re: Hello from the South West
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:00:37 AM »
Welcome Gavin, whereabouts in the SouthWest are you ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:02:22 AM »
Hello and welcome, @Gavin  :drink: :flower:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 09:13:43 AM »
Greetings.
I've just googled your machine, it's an embroidery machine as well I see, a few of us here do machine embroidery, so any questions, we can probably help.

Gavin

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:14:20 AM »
Welcome Gavin, whereabouts in the SouthWest are you ?

Thank you!

I am in Tavistock, Devon

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 09:48:03 AM »
Welcome Gavin.  How lovely to have a 6 year old who is interested in sewing.  A lot of us here started at that sort of age and we're still at it now.  We don't bite so fire away with any questions you need to ask no matter how daft you think they might be.
Life's too short for ironing.

Gavin

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »
Greetings.
I've just googled your machine, it's an embroidery machine as well I see, a few of us here do machine embroidery, so any questions, we can probably help.

Thank you.  I will likely take you up on that, I’ve had a few attempts at making sew on patches using the embroidery function but none have gone to plan... yet

Gavin

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »
Welcome Gavin.  How lovely to have a 6 year old who is interested in sewing.  A lot of us here started at that sort of age and we're still at it now.  We don't bite so fire away with any questions you need to ask no matter how daft you think they might be.

Thanks you, I really appreciate that!

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 10:22:54 AM »
Welcome to TSP.

:drink: :fabric: :sew: :thread:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »
Hello Gavin and welcome!

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »
I love Tavistock. Welcome  :toast:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 11:21:29 AM »
Welcome @Gavin:drink: :cake: lovely to hear your little girl wants to learn to sew on the sewing machine. I learnt from my Dad too back in the day 0_0.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 12:49:37 PM »
Hello and welcome, @Gavin  !  How lovely to have a little girl who wants to sew, how I wish mine had been interested.  Come and visit often, we're happy to help (and enable you to buy fabric  :devil::toast:

Gavin

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 16:07:51 PM »
Hello and welcome, @Gavin  !  How lovely to have a little girl who wants to sew, how I wish mine had been interested.  Come and visit often, we're happy to help (and enable you to buy fabric  :devil::toast:

I could quite happily spend a fortune on fabrics but will likely find myself divorced if I do. 

Lots of things I want to have a go at making (mostly soft toys for the younger kids) but at this point I’d end uk wasting too much  :S

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 21:01:24 PM »
Hi Gavin - welcome to TSP. Tavistock is a great place to live, especially as I think you have two lovely quilt shops locally???  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath