sewingj

Sew Direct`s new Website
« on: October 27, 2018, 21:33:34 PM »
What do we think?
I`m not keen but I suppose I`ll have to get used to it

Tamnymore

Re: Sew Direct`s new Website
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 22:35:01 PM »
So far I've only used it on my phone and it doesn't quite work properly on the phone. My main gripe us you don't seem to be able to get the new patterns up for a particular brand... or maybe I just haven't worked out how to do that. Presumably if you are a member you will also get 40% off Simplicity and New Look now too.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 22:46:06 PM »
I really don't like it. I have seen it, or something very like it, on another site and never went back to it. The pictures are too small to see details properly and they don't magnify. The line drawings are also too small and are missing altogether on a lot of the patterns. Perhaps I missed it but I couldn't find the pattern reviews which were very useful. I had a lot of problems re-registering my password on the email they sent me - took 7 goes I think before I managed to make it work. Also, I ordered a pattern over a week ago. They normally come within 2-3 days but I am still waiting for this one. I suspect that it will not have been posted before the silly re-registering thing went through.

If there are any more difficulties I am inclined to cancel my membership and buy patterns from my local shop. OK I'll lose the discount but there are so few patterns I like these days that I should be able to afford them!

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 08:39:05 AM »
I'll take a good look at it on my laptop over the next few days. Disappointing if the reviews have gone. There certainly seem to be quite a few issues with the new site. I'll send them some feedback. After all we are exactly the people to whom they are trying to sell stuff!  :S

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:06:14 AM »
Jaycotts have all the same brands of pattern, plus a few more.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 13:06:12 PM »
Jaycotts have all the same brands of pattern, plus a few more.

I bought a Butterick pattern from Jaycotts last week - they were cheaper than anywhere else and it came the next day

Esme866

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 13:48:09 PM »
I find most srwing supply  websites problematic - phone or laptop.

I don't think they utilize people that sew and no something of hpw to use the items to organize how items are presented and grouped. (I suspect much is left up to the hired programmer).

Here in the states, we have WAWAK - threads, needles, zips, tailoring goods - both for home sewists and professionals. I finally gave up and ordered one of their free catalogs.  Could not believe all of their new offerings! - multiple items that until recently were almost impossible to find.

The printed pages are so much simpler to navigate and with items like sewing machines they refer you to the website for additional specifications.

Our local Hobby store just added an additional 13,000 sq ft. I suspect internet shopping and B&M shopping are starting to find a balance.

'Bout time!

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 13:53:08 PM »
One of the reasons I don’t buy Simplicity patterns is the website, the other being I have to make too many adjustments.

The new Sew Direct website seems to have opted for a similar layout to Simplicity. I reserve judgement at the moment, but not divided into the more helpful sections that the old site was. I do enjoy their magazine so will carry on for a while, but if the website doesn’t improve, they will lose my custom.
Procrastination get behind me

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 14:21:09 PM »
I decided a few years ago that the magazine was no longer for me so I cancelled my sub and I only ever buy from sewdirect when they have a flash sale. However I haven't seen one of those for a long time. Having said all that some TSPers clearly enjoy the mag and find the 40% reduction useful so if they can get their act together there are still plenty of customers around.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 13:32:16 PM »
I rang them this morning, at about 10.30, to ask what had happened to the pattern I ordered 10 days ago. I was promised a callback but am still waiting for it.

Whilst I was on the phone I took the opportunity to tell them How much I dislike their new website. She said she would pass it on.

Tiggy

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 05:30:23 AM »
I’m really hoping that it’s still a work in progress, because not all of the patterns have thumbnail pics up yet on the pages.

Pluses.
Everything is under one roof and hopefully the discount continues.

Things to be improved.
*Browsing.  The back button takes me back to the first page, not the current page.
*You don’t seem to be able to sort for categories within a brand. Eg Vogue menswear only, Butterick plus size only.
*The lack of pattern reviews.  Hopefully they will be back.

I’m crossing my fingers and sending some feedback because I like Sew Direct, and want this to succeed.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »
Surely this must be a work in progress - which probably shouldn`t have gone live yet!  On my laptop the line drawings are impossible to make out.

As others have said - I don`t like not being able to search by brand.  For me, Sewessential`s site is much better - and they usually have similar discounts to SewDirect

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 09:27:56 AM »
I emailed them about the problems I had re- registering my password. When they responded to me to see if I had managed it yet, I took the opportunity to give my opinion of the website, mentioning the size of the pictures, lack of line drawings and the missing pattern reviews. I think everyone should tell them what they think. I got this response this morning:

Simplicity UK EU Sales

to

Hi Christine,

Thank you for your reply.

I will forward on your concerns to the relevant department.

Please contact me should you have any further queries.

Kind Regards

Lisa Ward

Senior Sales Administrator

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »
Let's hope they get sorted out as it is still a valuable resource. If you sign up for their newsletter they send you a code for 25% off your first purchase - might be useful.

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 15:31:23 PM »
I hate it.  I wanted some interfacing, not out of it, just stocking up.  Not on or other things.  They should have waited until it was working properly before moving.

I want to pick a pattern company and then a type of garment.  I don't want to pick tops and have everything but the kitchen sink in of companies I don't want.   I suppose reviews have all gone into the ether.  The whole thing jumps around and it is the one thing I really hate about some websites, I usually don't go back.  :\

Actually just on to the  website, it says contact us, so did.  Others should  do the same if  they want a change.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 15:38:00 PM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included