The Sewing Place

A new sewing machine - Singer 7640, Brother A50?

Mollydollydoodah

A new sewing machine - Singer 7640, Brother A50?
« on: October 29, 2018, 01:25:53 AM »
Hello All,

So this is another one of those 'help me pick a sewing machine pleeeease' threads haha!  :sew:

Until April of this year, I'd never really used a sewing machine much before so my mum showed me the basics. I've since been making pet bow ties and bandanas for our dogs and also started selling them online.  :woof:  :meow:
I've been using the (her) sewing machine - a Brother rl417 - almost daily since and so this Christmas (and my birthday is also just after) she has said she would buy me a new sewing machine. She said around £250, which I understand is at the budget end but I possibly could ask other family member to contribute a little maybe as well so I have been looking between 250 - 350 range.

After looking around and at what sort of features they can come with, these are the things I'd like:

• Computerised
  • Auto tension would be great! (will most computerised machines do this anyway?)
  • A reliable Auto needle threader
  • Option to use without foot pedal
  • Needle up/down setting
  • Horizontal spool pin
  • Not too loud
  • Reliable/good build

Features that would be an added bonus but not a necessity:

• Decorative Stitches
  • Alphabet/number stitch
  • walking foot/guide
  • Extension table
  • twin needle
  • Drop feed for free motion

I've been looking at the 'Singer Confidence 7640 + Free Extension Table' on British Sewing Centre which is at £349.95 and I think they said they could reduce it to £300.

I've also been looking at the New 2018 Brother A Series - the 'Brother Innov-Is A50 With Free Creative Sewing Pack' on BSC which is at £389 but I might be able to get it around £350 with extra discount.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on these particular models, which you think is better, and also any other recommendations are welcome!

Thanks in advance :)  :drink:

Bex
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:30:14 AM by Mollydollydoodah »

Stitches

Re: A new sewing machine - Singer 7640, Brother A50?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 07:25:36 AM »
I am going tp try out the brother A50 on saturday so will let you know what I think of it.

Celia

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »
Don’t know any of the Brother machines but you are doing the right thing I trying them out first

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »
I bought this last year and it does everything I want.

They regularly have it on sale at £249-£299 so you need to keep an eye on the listings. The alphabet setting is not adjustable so just one size and font but it does do upper and lower case.
Sarah Payne usually demonstrates it and she uses her own personal machine. I reckoned if it was ok for her (and her mum), it's ok for me.

Welcome to the forum.  :drink: :cake:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
British Sewing Centre
Bex

You may wish to see previous posts on the British Sewing Centre before purchasing from this dealer.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »
Have a look at the Sewing Machines Direct website.  They are reliable and offer an excellent service if you have to buy online, although it is better if you can, to try the machines before buying.

The machines in your price range are:
page 4
page 5
page 6
page 7

Sadly modern Singer machines are not the same quality as the vintage Singers, and it's why a lot of the better sewing machine retailers don't stock them.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Mollydollydoodah

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
You may wish to see previous posts on the British Sewing Centre before purchasing from this dealer.

Oh right I'll have a search! I've only really read a majority good reviews about them on places like trust pilot etc..
My nan also ordered from them with no issues. I have spoken to few chat advisors (Which seem to be exact same chat whether you are on there or on the Singer website). Today - just to see what they say - I asked: in their honest opinion which out of the brother A50 or the Singer 7640 is the better machine? The advisor was instantly like The Brother! It's amazing. I have one. Please buy it ..  haha XD :S

Have a look at the Sewing Machines Direct website.  They are reliable and offer an excellent service if you have to buy online...

Thanks Brenda, I'll take a look on their site :)

Edit: The chat assistant seems much more Human haha! She has recommended the Janome MXL50 but also says the brother A50 is just as good but can't comment on reliability for certain as it's only been released recently, but she put it through its paces with several layers of fabric and had no issue.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:54:58 PM by Mollydollydoodah »

Lizzy777

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 17:50:10 PM »
@Mollydollydoodah

I'll try and find the threads for you in a short while unless some other member can find them more quickly.

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 17:56:36 PM »
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php?topic=3870.15

posts no, 2, 4, 5 & 6 worth looking at for further info re BSC .

There may be more will have another look later top.

Lizzy

Mollydollydoodah

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 23:06:18 PM »
Thanks to those who said to avoid BSC, I've been speaking to chat assistants on Sewing machines direct and they are so brilliant. I said I was recommended by someone on this forum and they said to thank you. Eventually I have decided to take the plunge with the Brother A50 :) Even managed to get a discount on it with a code they had. It's turning up tomorrow (ordered it midday today) but wont be having it till Christmas haha  :sew:  :drink: