The Sewing Place

Is stretch velvet/velour washable? And what else do I need to know?

sewingj

I fancy a bit of this to make a top to wear at Christmas

https://www.tissufabrics.co.uk/velvet/stretch-velvet/aubergine-crushed-velvet-velour-stretch-fabric-q156-aub.html

But - I`ve never sewn with it before - and daughter is expecting a baby the week before Christmas so I need something washable!
Any advice will be much appreciated

BrendaP

Re: Is stretch velvet/velour washable? And what else do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 11:15:53 AM »
If it's the same as this then 100% polyester is definitely washable.  Gentle machine wash, short spin and then hang it up.  Ironing won't be necessary 0_0

The man difficulty with this type of fabric is that it wants to roll like mad.  It's basically a single knit with added tufts of velour.  Single knit is the same structurally as hand knitted stocking stitch, it curls towards the WS in the lengthways direction and towards the RS in the widthways direction.  nce made up (and especially after a wash) the hem may well want to curl.  My advice would be use a decent width of hem and stabilise that hem with a stretch interfacing.  Otherwise sewing it is the same as any stretch fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 11:45:50 AM »
lovely fabric ... i have nothing more to add tho' sorry!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »
Thanks Both - it`s so cheap I think I will give it a go.

mudcat

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 19:09:03 PM »
I bought some purple rayon stretch velvet from Christine Jonson back in the mid 2000s when she sold fabric.  I know I washed it but it's been so long I don't recall how.  Probably gentle wash line dry given it was rayon.  I shun dry cleaning as it's too costly, they often ruin clothes with aggressive ironing and garments tend to have an odor that I find unpleasant.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 19:17:51 PM by mudcat »

Nevis5

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 19:16:51 PM »
I've washed stretch velvet on a 40 degree wash many times with no problem.  I don't tumble dry very much and I expect I hung it to dry rather than use the dryer, again with no problems.   

HTH x