The Sewing Place

Pattern pricing. UK v. USA

Tiggy

Pattern pricing. UK v. USA
« on: October 31, 2018, 05:48:09 AM »
I just followed a link kindly provided by Tamnymore, about the Vogue winter pattern release and was struck by the prices.  Patterns reduced from $35 to $5.99. I’ve heard about the pricing sales that happen in the US, and wonder why we over the pond, don’t get the same offers.
If my maths is correct, then that’s a sale reduction of 82%!

I’d buy, but don’t want to get stung by import tax. 
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

classical retro

Re: Pattern pricing. UK v. USA
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 06:57:08 AM »
I’ve never paid import tax. I always buy 3 patterns at a time, maximum number for minimum postage costs. US sales are more frequent than UK too.
CR :angel:

Samantha

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 14:13:10 PM »
You only pay import tax if the value is over £18 and there is the Royal Mail handling fee of £8 regardless of the value. 

However it say on the RM website that 'Letters, postcards and parcels containing only documents are normally exempt.' so I guess that's why @classical retro has never had to pay anything extra?

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 15:33:29 PM »
If you get 3 Vogues in a sale on the US site and you are a club bmv member (with the extra reduction) you won't reach the threshold for UK tax (thought it was £15. Has it gone up??? ). But if you go over the tax limit you could get charged even for patterns as they have a monetary value. This has happened to me. The value of the contents is declared on the packet so the customs people can see.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 15:58:24 PM »
A pattern should be considered a document as an architectural floor plan is a document.

For the difference in price, it may be worth trying at least once.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 17:05:00 PM »
Well the UK customs don't regard.patterns as documents if the value is over the tax limit! I've tried and paid the tax. However 3 Vogues at sale and club price from the US with postage work out at about £8.50 each and will be below the tax threshold. You have to buy them in 3s to make it worthwhile. I imagine the reason they are so much cheaper in the US is that these are US companies with a huge market in the USA. The UK market must be much smaller and the pound haa dropped against the dollar.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 17:08:32 PM by Tamnymore »

Tiggy

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 18:40:59 PM »
I’ve been caught by taxes and it just made me wary.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 18:52:56 PM »
From discussions we had on the old TSP
it seems that some packages a bit over the tax limit will slip through customs without charges, some not, and it's about 50/50 but you can never tell which ones it will be! But if you keep below the tax limit you will be fine

Samantha

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 10:02:31 AM »
you won't reach the threshold for UK tax (thought it was £15. Has it gone up??? ).

You're right it is £15 - when I was looking for info I found a page on Ebay that said it was £18