The Sewing Place

Pencil skirt wirh geometric shaped pieces

Silver Rose

Pencil skirt wirh geometric shaped pieces
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:02:26 AM »
Whilst sorting through the bits and pieces in my fabric boxes I thought I would try to use up the larger pieces of leftover ponte from the last 3 dresses I have made. I drew a sketch of what I thought would work and am going to make a new pattern for the various shapes copying my standard pattern. I may not have enough fabric to achieve what I have in mind but I am enjoying exploring the idea. This is how I see the skirt.

Still learning

Manuela

Re: Pencil skirt wirh geometric shaped pieces
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »
That is going to look fabulous with a pair of boots.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »
I hope you do have enough fabric, the idea looks brilliant.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 07:10:12 AM »
Well @BrendaP , there isn't enough fabric to follow my initial idea but I have rummaged about for alternatives and will sacrifice a rather wonky ponte dress in navy and white for one piece, it was the first jersey garment I made about 5 years ago so don't feel too bad about cutting it up. I haven't cut anything out yet but I've got the pattern pieces set aside with their fabrics. Why did I start this? It seemed a good idea at the time ><, I'll soldier on and see if it turns out OK.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »
I've cut out all the pieces from the leftover fabrics and have pinned it all together to get an idea what it looks like and the best way to put it all together.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »
Despite having a head cold I have managed to do some sewing and now have the front and the back sewn up.Had a problem with putting darts in because of the join in the small black triangle and the large blue central piece so decided to forget about darts, I'm going to look for some suitable lining then I'll tack front and back together to see how (if) ;) it fits and put a zip in the side.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:56:57 AM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 17:48:45 PM »
Brilliant idea

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 18:14:49 PM »
loving the skirt
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 18:37:33 PM »
yum!
C'est moi!

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 09:48:34 AM »
I got some beautiful dark blue stretch lining from Anglian Fabrics yesterday, it was £5 a metre but as the fabrics for the skirt didn't cost me anything I wasn't bothered. It is so smooth and siky and very stretchy, it will be perfect. Hope to get on with that later today.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 10:13:42 AM »
Sounds perfect, @Silver Rose !  Am looking forward to seeing the finished article :) xx

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 08:56:05 AM »
A bit more progress, the skirt lining is sewn and tacked into the skirt, although the lining felt really slippery it was easy to cut out  and pin to the skirt but when sewing I had to fiddle about until I got the tension right and use one of the stretch stitches on my machine as it tended to pucker slightly when I used a straight stitch, another little learning curve for me. I don't like waistbands on skirts and trousers, they feel uncomfortable as I am high-waisted and prefer the waistline to be a bit lower so I put the lining in and then topstitch to finish off.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 09:56:57 AM »
Got the lining in yesterday but when I tried the skirt on the waist had stretched a bit and it is too loose, ggrrr,so I have taken it in and tacked the side seam in a rough and ready way but I really should unpick the top stitching and the seam around that side seam and do it properly - drat.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 08:15:16 AM »
I have unpicked and taken the waist in and it fits better, a bit loose but I'm not doing it again, it can be the skirt I wear when I eat a hefty lunch ;) Just got to give it a good press and finish of the hem so pics to follow sometime. Now I can concentrate on the pink and grey skirt.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 14:26:56 PM »
It is finally finished, I haven't been well for a week or so, that fall on the wonky pavement really shook me up so no sewing at all but feeling a bit more lively now. Pics will follow.
Still learning