The Sewing Place

Cock up after cock up

Gernella

Cock up after cock up
« on: November 02, 2018, 13:08:07 PM »
After spending a few months not moving until I had studied the pattern, I have embarked on Butterick 5566

https://butterick.mccall.com/patterns/misses/skirts

Straight forward, done two before, easy peasy.  Got to the try on bit with clips in the side (so useful), okay bottom, too tight at top (and the other two I had to do big seams, got spandex in or similar), so went with wafer thin seams, nearly there but a heave to get the zip up.  I made my mind to  carry on and finish, last skirt I had that was too tight, next time I wore it just dropped off my waist, may be wishful thinking a second time but you can wish.  Facings next, machined and pinned, too big, much too big, redone and carried on.  Laid out to do the hem, to short, remembered I had added onto the bottom on the others,  forgot this time, too much above the knee (at my age).  Adjusted but still a tad too short. :'(

Since I was doing pattern B/C, I considered doing a fancy hem and adding fabric on, but too messy. So I've gone with a false hem and since I haven't got suitable bias binding I'm moving on. :)
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Esme866

Re: Cock up after cock up
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 21:10:00 PM »
@Gernella  -This one's sounding like a candidate for a certain "bucket" being discussed on another thread.

I think we all have those moments.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »
Yes @Esme866 but when you never used to get things like this happening, you tend to blame it on your age.  Fabric was a remnant but not one I want to chuck in the bin, I will make it right. After three good results it was a bit of a  :fish: to get something so wrong.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 10:39:14 AM »
Well all finished and around about 5lbs off might do it so hung up ready.  >:) Made a new  cushion, which has been sitting around months, then started a new skirt with another remnant.  Would you Adam and Eve it, too big.  So delightful though, machined up using the largest stitch and tried on,  a sliver more off the waist and hips and it's just right.  Big seams but just right.