The Sewing Place

November Knitting and Stitching show Harrogate

sewmuchmore

November Knitting and Stitching show Harrogate
« on: November 04, 2018, 18:51:53 PM »
Groupon have some ticket deals for the show.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Lowena

Re: November Knitting and Stitching show Harrogate
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 19:32:54 PM »
My d.i.l went last year and said it was very good :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 15:08:45 PM »
Went to Ally Pally again this year but I rather fancy swapping around with the Harrogate show next year. Will be interested to hear any reviews of those who have gone this year or before.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 15:37:11 PM »
I’ve been lots of times...it’s very busy,loads of stuff to see, (4 large halls) and even more to buy. There was several dressmaking fabric stalls the last time I went.

A list of exhibitors
https://www.theknittingandstitchingshow.com/harrogate/exhibitor/

Pinkstar

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 20:48:35 PM »
I've not been for about 10 years.  Is the traffic and parking any better? 
I much prefer going to the Showground rather than HCC (When did it change its name from The Royal Halls/International Centre?)

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 21:53:55 PM »
I have been twice, 2015 and 2016.
Really good show, but not a cheap visit - travel and hotel before you start shopping. Plus I did find it very tiring.

OTOH part of me would like to go again some time.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
I would be going this year but I’ve got a 4 day fair on the same dates.

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »
I went last year on the Friday but I can't make my mind up about going this year for some reason. I've lost the sewing mojo and wonder if I really need anymore fabric.........
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 14:03:13 PM »
I'm interested in going on the Thursday. I would get the train down and back in one day, rather than try to drive there and back.  I missed the Glasgow one earlier in the year (thank you, Beast from the East  :angry: ) and would like to do this one.

Is anyone else planning to go?

JillH

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 14:08:33 PM »
I've got tickets for the Friday.  Didn't go last year and the year before the tickets were valid for any day but this year they are for a specific day only.
Jill -  trying to grow old disgracefully.

SkoutSews

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 14:47:01 PM »
I've gone ahead with the Thursday booking.  Found out that I could use nectar points to offset against my train tickets, so just went for it!

SkoutSews

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »
I had a Grand Day Out at the Harrogate show!  It is huge, five halls in all, and, despite getting the show guide in advance to do a little bit of forward planning, I was still bemused and overwhelmed with all that was there. 

All of the workshops that interested me had been sold out well ahead, so I booked onto a 'Demo' (it was really more of a tutorial) 'Twenty tips to improve your sewing'.  It was interesting and covered a wide range of sewing tips, many of which will be familiar to TSP or previous forum followers, i.e. darts (the shaping and securing thereof); interfacing choice; staystitching and order of construction to avoid bias stretch; selection of pattern size; etc etc.

Things I loved:  The Royal School of Needlework stand, with such exquisitely fine work on display; the Festival of Quilts winners, again just jaw-dropping work; the wall of little crocheted creatures at the entrance to Hall M; the displays of all the machines from all the main manufacturers (dream on!); and the many, many fabric sellers and haberdashers.  For someone who gets excited at the sight of a small fabric shop, this was revelatory.  I saw lace being made and watched needle-felting, both new to me.

Things I bought: Fabric!  But I kept my sensible head on.  Two skirt lengths of Linton Tweed (they were on a BOGOF); a piece of textured jersey (which I had previously looked at online, it looked better in the flesh) from the Textile Centre stand; two pieces of jersey from Dotsnstripes, who had a great selection of good quality fabrics, not cheap, but better fabric than most (they also have a website); and a show offer of Vilene/Vlieseline packs containing a range of interfacing products.  That came with a very useful brochure of the product range with all specifications and instructions.

I'm thinking of upgrading my overlocker and tried the Janome 6234xl and the Juki MO-654DE, also took a good look at the Bernina and Brother offerings, all very helpful.

You'll have gathered from these ramblings that I enjoyed my day immensely, indeed I hope to go again next year.  For those who are visiting today or at the weekend, have a great time and wear comfortable shoes!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 17:42:16 PM »
Glad to see you had a good time. This is the first time for about 15 years that I haven't been so envious of all the fabric you bought.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

SkoutSews

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 18:46:34 PM »
15 visits! That's a good tally. I'm on a strict fabric abstinence now, but pleased with my purchases. Just have to get sewing.