The Sewing Place

Batik Quilt - Finished

Ploshkin

Batik Quilt - Finished
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
I've always been a bit nervous of batiks, people make such beautiful quilts with them but when I see the fabrics in the flesh they always look a but dull.  Ages ago I bought a layer cake of batiks (Moda Bonfire) and it's been lurking in a box.  I've decided to do something with it. 
I think it was Iminei who said on another thread that she doesn't find random easy, well, neither do I so I am waaaay out of my comfort zone here as the layer cake was made up from 40 different fabrics.  I've done a 12" block that uses 2 of the 10" squares.  It's a dead simple one as there are absolutely no seams to match up though I didn't realise that before I started.

I stuck with the greens, blues and purples which the majority of the fabrics were so I think they look ok.  The blocks are going to be divided by a 1" sashing strip and I'm debating whether to use a dark purple square where the sashings cross or push the boat out and use a red or orange.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:27:21 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

Re: Batik Quilt
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 13:18:59 PM »
That is looking GREAT and with batiks you can either

A) Bust your buns trying to get them in a pattern of sorts
or
B) throw the blocks in the air, stuff em in a bag and lay them out as they are pulled from the bag

With batiks, right and wrong sides and patterns dont really matter!!!

Lay your blocks out with the sashing underneath and place orange batik squares and turquoise squares in the corners, take a pic and see which works best.

Looking forward to it Ploshie, Bravo!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 14:01:55 PM »
That's lovely @Ploshkin I enjoy working with batiks
Triumph of hope over experience :D

fajita

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 18:09:08 PM »
Love it, @Ploshkin

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 18:29:03 PM »
Some batiks are muddy, some are bright jewel colours and some can be a bit of both.

So far it's looking good, but if you put sashing between the blocks you will loose the effect of the four-triangle diamonds.  Spread the block over a light coloured background to see what I mean.  If you still like it place a couple of small purple squares in the corners and place a couple of purple squares in other corners and just go with instinct.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 22:45:02 PM »
They are lovely colours - going to look good.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »
If you still like it place a couple of small purple squares in the corners and place a couple of purple squares in other corners and just go with instinct.

I think what Brenda probably meant was purple and orange to see which you like best ... or any other colour you may fancy trying!!!

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »
Yep, try it with a few purple squares and try it with a few orange squares.

Whilst the blocks are still separate you can move them around as much as you like, and if you don't have the right colour orange or purple maybe a bit of coloured paper will suffice to give the overall effect.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »
I've done the sashing and went with the purple squares.  I decided on the sashing to make the thing bigger - I had contemplated an extra row of blocks but I was only left with oranges, blacks and pinky reds from the layer cake but had got to like the blue / green / purple combo and didn't want to add any more colours. 
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I've got half a metre of the dark blue fabric (block in the top right hand corner) that I am planning to use for the border, I think it will look ok.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »
Looks lovely @Ploshkin
I'm hoping to complete my batik quilt before the end of the weekend
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:19:05 PM »
Hmmm.  I've done the border and I'm not so sure but I do see that in the photo it looks better than my first impressions in the flesh.  I think the fabric is too busy but I'll leave it draped over the sofa bed for a few days and see if it grows on me.  The fabric range that the layer cake was is Moda Bonfire but it no longer seems to exist (though I haven't had it for that long).  Quite a number of the fabrics, including the one I've used for the border, are now in the Moda Carnival range but unfortunately the plainer one that I would have used  for the border isn't one of them.  I've searched online and it seems that it can only be got in the USA with exorbitant postage.

I've come to a bit of a halt now as I don't have any backing or binding fabric and in any case I haven't got a clue how I will quilt it.  I would quite like to depart from straight lines which is all I have attempted so far in previous quilts but haven't got any inspiration at the moment.   This may well disappear for a bit but I promise that it won't end up languishing in a cupboard as a UFO for ever more.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:21:10 PM by Ploshkin »

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 16:58:59 PM »
I like the border fabric!

And I have lots of ideas how to quilt it using those lovely big crosses as guidelines!

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 17:34:45 PM »
Actually, the border has grown on me since this morning and I do have a simmering thought for quilting.  I've got to find some backing fabric first.

maliw

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 17:38:17 PM »
Were you looking for the creamy fabric ? if so would this be of any use
https://www.secretgardenquilting.co.uk/acatalog/Andover_Fabrics_A_Splash_Of_Colour_8598-L.html#SID=519
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

rubywishes

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 23:45:06 PM »
It's just lovely Ploshkin. <3
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!