The Sewing Place

Batik Quilt - Finished

Ploshkin

Re: Batik Quilt
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 08:03:19 AM »
Thank you @maliw I can actually get the creamy / speckled fabric.  I've ordered a blue/purple batik from Doughtys that I hope will look ok.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 16:45:21 PM »
I've stitched in the ditch along the sashing to stabilise it and am embarking on ruler quilting the blocks - I could be gone for some time!

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 08:45:09 AM »
WHAT??!!!  6 Posts without a new pic?!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »
Well, it doesn't look much different from when I added the border though I haven't shown you the backing fabric.  I'll see if I can take a picture that shows the quilting a bit.

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 11:11:31 AM »
For you @Iminei It's nearly dark in the house this morning so not good for pictures and a flash washes out the quilting .  I've quilted two blocks and like the way the pattern is forming concentric circles at the joins (That came as a surprise though it shouldn't have done).  The ruler quilting is going ok though I think I might struggle with the 2 blocks in the middle.  I have found it a bit easier changing to a static chair instead of one on castors as I kept finding that the stitching was going nowhere but my chair was moving backwards!  It's quite a strenuous activity wrestling a free motion quilt.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Stitches

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »
Poshkin I like that I am thinking of getting the westerlee ruler but going to see a demo of the Parrs rulers next month

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 09:22:24 AM »
Beautiful Ploshie, just beautiful!

Take the middle slowly and make sure all is flat and spread around the needle area!

Ploshkin

Re: Batik Quilt - Finished
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
I've finally finished my batik quilt after a few stops and starts.  The light is very poor but I've managed to take a couple of pictures to show the quilting which was my first attempt at ruler quilting.  I'm happy with the overall effect but it doesn't bear close scrutiny.  It wasn't easy to keep the stitching consistent with no feed dogs whilst pushing and shoving a whole quilt through the machine at the same time as holding a template in place.  My machine persisted in skipping stitches as well (until I unintentionally bought a new machine 90% of the way through the job).  I had stitched in the ditch along the sashing first which I think helped enormously as the individual blocks were nice and stable.  There were very few bits that I felt were so awful I had to unpick them and I think I got better as I went along, though sometimes I wasn't so sure.  I definitely did get better at FMQing along the lines of the sashing so that I didn't have to keep stopping and starting.

Finished quilt is just a touch under 48" x 60".  I used the backing fabric for the binding but cut a separate strip for a double fold binding.  I'm happy with the finished article and am hoping to palm it off on my nephew who has just moved into his first home alone.

Greybird

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 11:10:25 AM »
It's beautiful - no need for self-criticism at all!

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 12:38:29 PM »
Gorgeous Ploshie, just gorgeous!!!!!

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 12:49:01 PM »
That is really lovely @Ploshkin you should be very proud  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 13:15:26 PM »
Absolutely lovely!   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 15:53:18 PM »
Lovely quilt and an impressive first run at ruler quilting.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Pearl

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 17:13:28 PM »
Beautiful, @Ploshkin , and certainly a good advert for ruler quilting.   :loveit:

Vezelay

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 20:18:51 PM »
That's gorgeous @Ploshkin. Your nephew should be well chuffed  :)