The Sewing Place

Bunting

BrendaP

Bunting
« on: November 06, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »
Our little art group are taking a table at a craft fair in a couple of weeks time.  Whilst I'm not hopeful of selling much, or even anything, I am showing willing and spent much of yesterday making some bunting to decorate the stand.

It's made from a bit of blackout lining (which doesn't fray so no hems!) left over from some curtains which I shortened for DD,  a roll of cotton tape which I've had for ever and acrylic paint.  The font is loosely based on the Papyrus font which someone else decided on years ago.  When you enlarge those letters the edges are all jagged and whilst I did try to smooth it out I actually did a pretty good job of keeping those jagged edges!  It isn't easy painting with precision onto fabric :devil:

The whole lot is about 2m long plus extra tape for tying if there is anywhere to tie to although I'm donating a couple of quilting safety pins in case it has to go along the front of the table cloth.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

Re: Bunting
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:25:55 AM »
@DementedFairy  ...hehehehhehhe  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
Meopham is a blast from my past @BrendaP  a friend's  Canadian mother always called it Me - oh - fam.

I've been to the chiropractor this morning armed with 6 jars of honey by way of payment.  It's brightish at the moment but the sky is a forbidding colour.  When the sun breaks through the trees look as though they are on fire - quite stunning.

I hope you have a less frustrating day @justpottering  One of my sisters and I are just embarking on a plan to hopefully, get mum to move to the FOD where my sister lives which would also be much nearer to me.  Another sister who currently lives close to mum has just announced her intention to move away in the next year and with the plans for 6 blocks of flats to be built in an already
 overcrowded and overstretched area, a place that is already unlovley is set to become unlovlier.  As mum's circle of friends diminishes through death and infirmity and her opportunities to go anywhere are very limited she is becoming more isolated.  Our other 2 sisters seem to be oblivious to it but at least two of us are on the same page.

ETA - I thought I was on the Today thread when I posted this - apologies, old lady moment.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 14:08:16 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 12:29:37 PM »
I did a teaching practice in Meopham in 1967  :o
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 16:55:13 PM »
I had to google how to pronounce Meopham... every day's a school day :)

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 18:48:01 PM »
 :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 19:07:47 PM »
Fabby bunting @BrendaP . Yoohoo @DementedFairy . Where are you?  :devil: :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 21:21:21 PM »
Just hope you don't bump into Trottiscliffe or Wrotham if you're journeying through Kent.
Three villages next to each other.

Meopham = Mep-em
Wrotham = Root-em
Trottiscliffe - Tros-lee (sometimes Troz-lee)

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Mocarroll

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 21:37:14 PM »
Add nearby Ightham to that, pronounced I-tem!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 21:59:26 PM »
Bunting! Yay, a bunting thread. Sorry DF. I was thinking to work on some bunting the other day and thought we need a bunting thread and looky here, it's come to pass.

@BrendaP your bunting is charming and perfect for the booth. I like using Papyrus font, so I heartily endorse it for this. Using the blackout fabric was very clever.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 12:54:28 PM »
I like the bunting!

I did some for a charity craft event which read 'handmade heaven' unfortunately I had used a washable marker and not the very similar fabric marker pen, it was pinned to the outside of the stall and it then rained.
The writing ran and it was not heavenly at all. I washed it later in the washing machine and it all came out, so I redid the letters with the fabric marker and ironed it but its never been quite the same again....

I used an old but high qulaity sheet and pinking shears for mine.

I have done birthday ones for my father's 70th and my SIL's 40th with their names and happy birthday. For those ones I stitched white cord on to make the letter shapes and used a darker background. I did sew those double sided and press them etc which was a lot of work.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 22:28:49 PM »
@SewRuthieSews  I remember those buntings you made! They were quite nice. I thought using the cord for the letters was a nice touch.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.