The Sewing Place

Baby Quilt by a complete novice?

Starryfish

Baby Quilt by a complete novice?
« on: November 06, 2018, 13:01:21 PM »
My DD is due in June, and I am thinking of making a baby quilt!! I have never made one before, I am tired of knitting baby blankets which I made for my DS's three.

I am contemplating handsewing one, my sewing machine area is setup for dressmaking, and would have to clear space for quilting, also I would like to sew this in the evening in front of the TV.

Is this realistic? Can you experts point me in the direction of help on handsewing one? There was a lady in my WI sewing group who made them but she is sadly sewing things for angels now.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ploshkin

Re: Baby Quilt by a complete novice?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 14:05:30 PM »
If your machine is set up for dressmaking that shouldn't stop you piecing a quilt by machine - it's only sewing seams on bits of fabric.  It could be difficult to achieve the accuracy needed for piecing if hand sewing.   If you are doing applique rather than piecing then hand sewing would be great (easier than machine IMO)  It's the quilting bit that needs space and can be difficult if your machine doesn't have a big harp or a walking foot and which can be done by hand.  Lowena hand quilts all of her quilts.
There are lots of straightforward baby quilt patterns and Iminei has a tutorial on this forum.
Life's too short for ironing.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 15:05:19 PM »
Have a look on www.favequilts.com, there are lots of free/easy patterns that will give you inspiration. I made one a few years ago for a friend's DD that was 21/2 inch strips, mostly pink (was a little girl) with a couple of black strips and it was really effective but extremely easy (can't find a photo) and I got the idea from favequilts at the time. If you do make one just using strips remember to sew from opposite ends for each strip to stop them curving other than that it's easy. You can quilt along the straight lines then.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 15:44:26 PM »
please take a look at this

The only difference to the tutorial I would suggest you do is at the quilting stage (I went a bit off piste) and stick to simple, and very effective, crosses through each square.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 17:59:43 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions. @maliw , I looked on that website and it gave me some good ideas. @Iminei , I shall study your tutorial carefully.
Really basic question, should I use cotton thread, instead of Gutermann sewall ?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 18:17:20 PM »
Polyester thread is fine for piecing - it's probably more durable than cotton.  Personally I have so far used cotton thread for the actual quilting but I don't think it matters.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 18:44:39 PM »
I always use cotton thread for piecing but it's not mandatory.
All you have to remember when machine piecing is..... an accurate 1/4" seam and "nest" the joins and intersections. As Ploshy says, I always hand quilt as I don't get on with a walking foot and like the effect of "big stitch quilting" with Perle thread
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 20:45:38 PM »
I used sewall thread for years with no ill effect until the thermostat on my iron failed and the iron got so hot it melted the thread. It's not so good for hand sewing though if that's what you fancy doing. Gutermann do a waxed cotton thread specially for hand quilting and it's very good, doesn't twist and knot up like a sewall does.
You could also use a cot panel if it's the quilting part you're more interested in.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 21:11:17 PM »
Piecing by hand can take forever!  Think of hexagons and diamonds :devil:  Piecing by machine is just straight seams, usually with 1/4 inch seam allowances.  It's the accuracy of the cutting and the seam allowances which matters.

Start with a design which is only squares and rectangles - there are loads of them on the web.

When it comes to the quilting you do need space to lay it out flat, though a baby quilt isn't that big and is a good project to start with.  Use lots of safety pins or hand basting to hold the layers together.

Guetermann SewAll or a good brand of cotton in size 50/3 for the piecing.  If the colours of the quilt don't demand an obvious colour use a neutral - grey or beige - will usually blend in without showing.  For the quilting cotton is my preference, size 50/3 if you don't want it to stand out, 40/3 or 30/3 if you do.  Your machine won't take any thicker and remember to use a thicker needle if you use thicker thread.

If you prefer to hand quilt, cotton perle size 8 or size 12 is what you need.

The choice of wadding is another personal preference - a lot of people won't use polyester for babies, but I don't see why not as it's not going to be in direct contact with the baby, it is lighter and will be quicker to dry when the quilt is washed.  100% cotton or 80/20 cotton/poly is much nicer to work with.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.