The Sewing Place

Dealer says Pfaff aren't good any more. Should I believe him?

Giotto

Re: Dealer says Pfaff aren't good any more. Should I believe him?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 21:27:20 PM »
Well, I wish I had been thinking quickly enough on my feet to say, when in the dealer’s shop, that Janome getting free advertising might have more to do with their machines being on GBSB than it necessarily meaning they are the superior machine!

I really felt under such pressure to go with Janome that I would find it difficult to go back and ask him to source another make for me, whether Pfaff or something else. 

Northern Ireland being a small place you have deduced correctly, @wrenkins, that the shop concerned is the one in Ballymena.  I would have thought more of him if he had said something like this:  Look, I know where you’re coming from.  You’ve had a Pfaff for years and you think you need another Pfaff.  I don’t think you do as in my opinion new Pfaffs aren’t as good as the older ones.  I think Janome is great and can sell you a fantastic Janome machine but I can source a Pfaff for you if you really want one.  After all, his shop is advertised as a Singer and Pfaff Sewing Centre, with not a mention of Janome in the name!  But, instead he rubbished Pfaff and pushed his, undoubtedly lovely, Janome machine instead. 

You’re right, @Iminei.  I didn’t notice that the machine was running slow, certainly not too slow for me and I didn’t notice anything wrong with the motor when I last sewed – so hopefully it will whizz along for a good while yet, even if it’s whizzing in the inside lane rather than in the overtaking lane!

It is good to hear from Pfaff owners who have bought much more recently than my 1980s purchase and are happy with their machines.  It is such a big purchase and I suppose no matter what machine we buy there is always a risk that we’ll get a troublesome one – just like with buying a new car. 

What people do seem to be saying is that if you do have trouble with your sewing machine and need a new part for it you’re going to have a much longer wait for it if your machine is a Pfaff. 

I have a lot to think about before committing to a new machine.  Thank you all for your replies.

Sakar

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 22:27:10 PM »
I have  bought a second-hand  Pfaff this January, a Quilt expression 4.2 and I have not regret it a single day!!!  :loveit:
It's really great fun to work with this machine, it sews even several layers of leather without any troubles, and its IDT is the best thing, which a sewing machine can have. This machine  is very reliable and precise in sewing and quilting!!!

My mother has the Expression 3.2 and she is also very satisfied with it.

I can recommend Pfaff very much! :) Do not let the sellers arguments destroy your wish of a Pfaff, he just wants to sell a Janome, for whichever reason.... ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 22:30:24 PM by Sakar »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 07:37:53 AM »
I have a Qe4 and also a much older Pfaff.  The QE works very well but my older one feels much more solid and responsive.  I'd say the difference between  automatic and manual.  My dealer said Janome no, SVP had bought Pfaff, which is why their new models incorporate the idt technology. They might be using it to upgrade their original brand and run down the other. The original was made in Sweden but no longer. I also have a Janome mid range (or was) which also works well -  a 'manual'  for positioning etc. but with screen selection of stitches. Nice buttonholes.  Their feet used to be cheaper.
What I miss on the QE is the ability to lower the foot by hand, which would make it easier to position over a new foot or a button.  The mechanical  push buttons will go on longer than computer chips and screens, I think.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:41:18 AM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 09:17:24 AM »
My dealer said Janome had bought Pfaff,

??????

Pfaff are part of the SVP group, nothing to do with Janome
http://www.svpworldwide.com/

Janome bought Elna.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
Yes, I was told that they're SVP and it's the SVP Group who have the appalling customer service according to the mechanic at one of my local shops and a salesperson at the other one.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »
What I miss on the QE is the ability to lower the foot by hand

I miss that on The Splurgess too ... You had to manually raise and lower the presser foot on The Splurge, so I guess the auto left along with the IDT was the upgrade to justlfy the sxtra £££...

It took me a while to get used to the auto lift, but with general sewing its invaluable!

When I nipped onto a Janome at FOQ (at the J stand) to complete a quick bit of sewing for TGQ,  I think I made a throwaway comment that lifting ones own foot was sooooo last season! .!!!  hahahaha

But when you do need accurate placement it can be a bit of a bugger ... tho I have found you can lift the presser footjust  enough to make the necessary adjustment without the whole machine screaming at you,... !
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:37:17 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

toileandtrouble

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 10:37:32 AM »
"Pfaff are part of the SVP group, nothing to do with Janome"

Thank you, Brenda, you are right, that comes of  going on the tablet when you can't sleep.  Wires getting crossed again.  He did tell me that, how did I mess it up?  The IDT went somewhere, now I have forgotten.  You will find me in the corner with a bucket over my head.   :| :|
Shall I edit the original post to avoid misleading anyone?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
Maybe Giotto, you'll have a grand weekend out next August and come along to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham.

You could then try all the brands of machines you wish before making a decision (I know this seems a long way in the furture, but your Pffaf is good to go now its has it service!!) and also experience the overwhelming wonder of 3 great halls chock full of lovely quiltiness.

Celia

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »
Ok customer service has been a bit of a problem with Pfaff/Husqvarna but it is improving, parts were a real long wait at one time but lately it is much better.  Do also remember that some times other manufacturers have had problems like this.

The performance 5 is a great machine, I have one along with another Pfaff, a Husqvarna and a Bernina and a Janome 1600p straight stitch only machine.  I have to part with one, space is a problem but I don't think it will be the Pfaff and I know it won't be the Janome 1600p I think it might be the Bernina.  really I would love to keep them all.

Giotto

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 13:27:40 PM »
I must admit that I love the ease of use of the Pfaff IDT - in one second you can just flip it on or off.  No messing about with an extra part/foot that needs to be applied. It seems as if not all IDT systems are equal. E.g. when the dealer talked about the Accufeed on the Janome he showed me a separate part/foot that you put on when you want the IDT.  I imagine, coming from a Pfaff, that I would find that a bit of a nuisance. 

When a sewing machine is advertised as having integrated dual feed or built-in dual feed does that mean it's more like the integrated just-flick-it-on-or-off Pfaff dual feed? I think I've seen adverts for more expensive Janomes with dual feed but don't know if it's of the you-need-to-apply-a-separate-foot variety.

As @Iminei said my old Pfaff is now serviced and should work for a while so I hope I've got some thinking/researching time in which to decide.

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 15:33:29 PM »
The Splurgess (Janome Atelier 7) has the IDT, but you have to attach a foot and press a button to activate ...
it then greys out lots of the available stitches so I often use a standard walking foot which will allow me to stitch any damn stitch I want!

It really is what you are used to, so if attaching a different foot will be a faff then stick with what you know.

You have time! research and his thee over to the mainland to a more unbiased (?) dealer/stockist or go to a large stitching/quilting show and buzz around the Brand stands.

maliw

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 15:58:02 PM »
Give Russell a ring at SMD
https://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/categories/sewing-embroidery-machines/1?brands%5B%5D=3&sort=
they sell Pfaff machines and he will help you with what you need/want. He isn't pushy and will give advice. They stopped selling Bernina a while ago because there was something with the newer machines - the belt I think, that they didn't like.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ploshkin

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 17:02:09 PM »
On a Pfaff the IDT is just a small bit of ridged plastic that pulls down and hooks under the back of the foot (it can't be used with all feet).
It's so simple I find it odd that it isn't common to all machines (unless there is some patent issue).
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 17:13:04 PM »
On my Brother, it just happens, naturally. It detects the thickness and you can see it adjust. I don't have to do anything  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Giotto

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 17:46:30 PM »
Give Russell a ring at SMD
https://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/categories/sewing-embroidery-machines/1?brands%5B%5D=3&sort=
they sell Pfaff machines and he will help you with what you need/want. He isn't pushy and will give advice. They stopped selling Bernina a while ago because there was something with the newer machines - the belt I think, that they didn't like.
Thanks, @maliw, I may well do this.  It's good to get a recommendation.