The Sewing Place

BBC Sewing and Fashion Archive

doesntworkonwood

BBC Sewing and Fashion Archive
« on: November 10, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »
I just watched a Youtube Video by The Fold Line which recommended this link. It goes to a 1967 BBC programme called Clothes That Count | Shirt Waister, where a women shows you how to sew a 'Shirt Waister' (what I would now just refer to as a shirt dress).

I never realised that the BBC ever had programmes like this. I thought it was interesting that the dress was something I could see myself wearing today (though probably not styled the same way). It's interesting to see how sewing has and hasn't changed since the 60s. She gives tips that people still follow to this day (such as doing one diagonal stitch on a corner), and also mentions things that I would take for granted  (like being able to back stitch on your machine). She does a lot of tacking too, which I always try to do but it's never been ingrained in me.

They talk about the difference between cheaper and more expensive patterns. Things like moving towards printed patterns rather than punch holes, seam lines, different variations and instructions. That's interesting to me because with the boom of indie patterns the pricing of a pattern has changed and is more dependent on the company and not necessarily value for money.

There's some more links on the right hand side that I haven't watched yet. As part of this series there's episodes on the suit and a double breasted coat. One other thing I want to watch is from the 50s and about how fashion comes and goes.

If you don't watch the entirety of it, I do recommend watching between around 19:30~21:30 for the fashion show. I wont tell you why, but I promise it's worth it.

So Chic

Re: BBC Sewing and Fashion Archive
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »
The BBC used to have many programmes on sewing and I'm still using the patterns from "Weekend Wardrobe" which were designed by Caroline Charles and Anne Ladbury was the sewing tutor for the series.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 12:51:38 PM »
If you don't watch the entirety of it, I do recommend watching between around 19:30~21:30 for the fashion show. I wont tell you why, but I promise it's worth it.

Oooh-errr!   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 17:41:28 PM »
Well that gave me a chuckle thank you!

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 19:03:40 PM »
Can’t see it on iPad ...

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 19:48:07 PM »
Can’t see it on iPad ...

No it's annoying isn't it @Efemera ?

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 23:50:39 PM »
You've taken me way back in my memory with your mention of punch hole patterns. I remember using those for a while, but the more expensive printed ones were so much easier. I was also taught to tack everything, which was so tedious. When I came back to sewing in the 1980's, I discovered it had become acceptable to just use pins, which I thought was amazing - so liberating. :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 23:52:39 PM by Kenora »
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 00:14:32 AM »

If you don't watch the entirety of it, I do recommend watching between around 19:30~21:30 for the fashion show.

Having just watched the Rememberance service ......
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 09:47:50 AM »
Thanks for the reference, @doesntworkonwood .  What a good programme! Apart from the daft uniform bit, of course, which they wouldn't get away with even consider now.  It's refreshing to see sewing taken seriously and discussed as a skill set, rather than as some contrived form of competition.  I must get round to watching others in the series.

Radiofan

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 11:45:18 AM »
Thanks for that, collar explained -I wish I had seen it before tackling a vintage shirt pattern. Love the uniforms  ;)
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.