The Sewing Place

Tunnelling Janome 2000

Gernella

Tunnelling Janome 2000
« on: November 10, 2018, 14:37:54 PM »
I have never ever had problems with this machine so I got a rude awakening when I came unstuck with some very lightweight jersey for a top.  No matter what I couldn't get the stitching right, using the same layers I would be stitching, until I finally got the book out and realised I was going the wrong way with the pressure button.

That sorted the stitching was perfect apart from tunnelling, which I've never had before.  I read a suggestion that loosening the looper would help, which it did on the sample fabric but on the actual fabric it didn't and I still got tunnelling, although better.  Another suggestion was to make sure that you are are not hitting just one layer, which I could be, second row just outside the double width.  I've looked at another lightweight top and the stitching has landed right on the double layer edge so fine.

I'm hope this will work but if not what else can I do.  I'm running out of spare fabric.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ploshkin

Re: Tunnelling Janome 2000
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 14:41:27 PM »
Could you put in a strip of lightweight stretch interfacing to give the hem a bit more body.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 14:49:40 PM »
I found this when I was trying to learn how to use mine.
Don't know if it's of any help.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 18:48:17 PM »
I found this when I was trying to learn how to use mine.
Don't know if it's of any help.  :)
Nice one, wrenkins, thank you, I've printed that for future reference.

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 21:25:01 PM »
I'm guessing this is a coverstitch machine Gernella? I had a similar problem when shortening a camisole. One solution that helped me was to lessen the pressure on the foot by a lot more than is suggested and I loosened the looper tension more as well. Also sew very slowly. Mine is the CPX1000 but there isn't much difference between the 2 from what I've seen.

Hope this helps.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Mocarroll

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 23:04:57 PM »
I’m just getting to grips with my coverstitch machine.  I found this website very useful.
http://www.coverstitching.com/doku.php?id=the_janome_2000_cpx&s%5B%5D=tunnelling

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 23:28:34 PM »
Lightweight stretch interfacing.
Reduce tension on looper thread.
Reduce pressure on  presser foot
Ensure the switch is set to lightweight fabric
Good quality top threads
Sew slowly.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 10:14:34 AM »
Looking at that @Mocarroll  that also comments that the fabric should be double where the left needle hits.  Mine wasn't, I was hitting just past both on the neck and on the sleeves (I've not reached the hem yet).  Bearing in mind that my test pieces are absolutely fine, I suspect this is the problem.  I've only ever done one other top as light as this and by sheer fluke all the Coverpro stitching has hit double fabric on the left side.

Thank you for all the suggestions and links, I've not seen these before and bookmarked them.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

maliw

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 10:22:05 AM »
I’m just getting to grips with my coverstitch machine.  I found this website very useful.
http://www.coverstitching.com/doku.php?id=the_janome_2000_cpx&s%5B%5D=tunnelling
Thanks for the link @Mocarroll, I was reading some of the info from the list on the left hand side - really useful.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Creative Mummy Bear

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »

That’s a brilliant link - thank you!  I’ve had this issue too on some lightweight John Kaldor polyester with spandex. Couldn’t fix it so convinced myself in the end it was a Design Feature  ;)

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 12:45:40 PM »
Thank you @Mocarroll  and @wrenkins  for those links.  They are both very useful, I don't usually have a lot of problems with my overlocker and cover hem but there's always a first time......

I use the washaway Wonder Tape like @Francesca  does if I think things are going to be tricky.  Works really well.