The Sewing Place

Singer 401 in cabinet

Queeniegoth2

Singer 401 in cabinet
« on: November 11, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »
]If you have ever wanted to own one of these lovely machines, now is your chance. All I am asking is a fair donation to the Saint Nicholas Hospice in Bury St Edmunds. The amount is up to you.It was serviced about five years ago and has all kinds of lovely bits and bobs including the original Singer rubber mat. It even has a very efficient ruffler foot. Collection only from Thetford in Norfolk. Photos to follow.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 15:46:03 PM by Iminei »

Queeniegoth2

Re: Singer 401 in cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 07:56:53 AM »
I have now added some photos to the gallery.

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
I'm very fond of the 401g and that one looks like a nice example.  Do you have the case as well as the cabinet? 

This just idle curiosity on my part, as i) I already have one and ii) Thetford is a long, long way away!

Recently I've been using mine for sewing my skirt lining, threaded in a different colour to that for the main fabric.  The straight stitch foot and plate are great for handling slippy fabrics or long seams. 

Queeniegoth2

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 15:34:02 PM »
Thanks SkoutSews. No case, but a foldaway cabinet with the open door supporting the flap (see the photos in the gallery)that although sturdy could do with a little tlc to the varnish. It had one owner since it was new in about 1962 and has been well cared for in that time. I would like to think that it could go to an appreciative home and that our local hospice could benefit. As can be seen in the photos it has all the accesories and pattern cams, and even a spare throat plate.

Queeniegoth2

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 21:38:26 PM »
new home found !