The Sewing Place

My next project

sewmuchmore

My next project
« on: November 11, 2018, 18:22:39 PM »
Really need a shirt to go with a black denim skirt I made last year, so this is what I will be starting tomorrow. I have made this shirt before and although it looks a bit daunting it is really easy to do, as long as all the pleats are marked accurately. Once that is done I will make the bib and braces in the brown denim. Oh and I have a piece of purple wool that I am not sure what to make with it, skirt or dress. That should keep me out of mischief for a day or two.  ;)
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Nevis5

Re: My next project
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 20:20:30 PM »
I like that Miyake pattern, @sewmuchmore ! I love pleats and peplums, I don't think I've seen that particular pattern before.  Look forward to seeing the finished article -good luck!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
I like that Miyake pattern, @sewmuchmore ! I love pleats and peplums, I don't think I've seen that particular pattern before.  Look forward to seeing the finished article -good luck!

I originally bought in when first published approx. 2002/3 but it a shirt that seems to come back into fashion time and time again.

Janet

justpottering

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 08:57:58 AM »
I love pleats in a shirt I’m not a peplum person though 
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »
I love pleats in anything too @justpottering .  I can wear peplums as I'm not at all hippy but must admit I don't think I have anything currently in the wardrobe with one.  How's it going, @sewmuchmore ?

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 16:57:45 PM »
How's it going, @sewmuchmore ?
It's not, I have got a bit side tracked trying to find a builder, but that is a whole new story in its self.

Janet

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 21:52:26 PM »
I love pleats in a shirt I’m not a peplum person though

I can wear peplums at the back but not if it goes all the way around - flat bum and protruding tummy  :o
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 09:25:15 AM »
Shirt is now cut out and all fold lines and pleating marked. Started to sew it yesterday evening, 2 hours later and thick fog of blue air in the sewing room I haven't got very far.

First, couldn't get the needle to stay in machine. HE said have you tightened the screw, does he think I'm stupid!
Finally got a needle to stay put, must have been a faulty pack.
Then as I was sewing I could feel the needle snagging the fabric, another one in the bin.
Finished the first couple of pleats to find that there where missed stitches, never had that before with this machine. Rethreaded, wound another bobbin and started again.
Top thread now breaking, what is going on  ><
Rethreaded with a new reel of thread and new needle to be on the safe side and started again.
ARGH, still missing stitches.
Cleaned the machine and checked the needle plate, no scratches or burrs but to be on the safe side changed it. Lucky I had a spare.
Whizzed, at top speed, along a spare piece of fabric and every thing seemed OK.
Will attempt the blouse again this afternoon. 
Can honestly say that I have never had all this happen before.

Re peplum, it's not what I would call a peplum, just the pleats that are un-pressed at the bottom of the blouse.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:27:29 AM by sewmuchmore »

Janet

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 17:59:19 PM »
This afternoon effort: So, half way down the next pleat thread broke  :'( back to square one. Tried a micro sharp needle, no that didn't help. I have been using a size 12 needle, the fabric is light weight shirting. What did I have to loose by going up a size. Well that didn't work either. Altered the tension, nope.
As a last resort I rethreaded the machine but turned the spool of thread so it was coming off clockwise (on my machine it should unwind anticlockwise), something I have never done before. Managed to get all the pleats done but with a lot of swearing.

Decided to put the shirt together with the overlocker. B***** the right needle thread broke half way across the first shoulder  :'(
Is it the fabric?!!
I will persevere but not looking forward to the buttonholes.
To be continued tomorrow.

Janet

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 14:09:08 PM »
@sewmuchmore  What thread are you using?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 14:59:18 PM »
Sometimes they just fight back, don't they?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 14:28:40 PM »
@sewmuchmore  What thread are you using?
Madeira, which I have used for years without any problems and it was a part used reel.

Managed to get the shirt finished yesterday with no further problems. Not sure what has happened to photos, the shirt and skirt (which was made last year) that I will wear it with are really black, but they look grey here. The gremlins strike again. 

Janet

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 14:59:32 PM »
Very nice. I would have been going cross-eyed trying to sew all those details in black!

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 15:06:47 PM »
Thats lovely @sewmuchmore, it should work really well with your skirt.