The Sewing Place

Betty Foster pattern paper

Addiscomber

Betty Foster pattern paper
« on: December 15, 2018, 13:33:29 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this, but as it was used with her books, this section seemed the best option.

Does any one have any of her pattern paper in sizes other than 12 and 14 and would be prepared to measure the size of the squares for me, please?

Sewbusy

Re: Betty Foster pattern paper
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 15:20:42 PM »
I have a fair bit of Betty Foster's 'stuff' here. I've never used it but if it helps I have her master pattern and I have sheets other MetricDressmaking Paper.. The squares on that paper are 1cm sq larger marking is 4cms sq.
The books are Betty Foster's Dressmaking  Book( ThamesTelevision and Betty Foster's Adapting to Fashion.
Happy to look up what I can for you if I know where to find it.

Addiscomber

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 19:58:24 PM »
Thank you. I have her book with the master pattern (blue cover) and the book that has a cream cover. I wondered whether the paper was for specific sizes because there is a mathematical progression in the size of the squares, and what the increases were. it would be lovely if you have some and measure the squares.

Sewbusy

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 17:32:04 PM »
Well, I was sitting here cogitating in the early hours and the conclusion is- I am not a mathematical genius! tried every way I could think of How work out a formula for the increased sizes. Needs a better brain than I have. :(

Pattern paper was available in seven sizes: 10,12,14,16,18,20,22. = Bust Size in cms 83, 87 , 92, 97, 102. 107, 110.

Increase in from 83cms is +4 cms (4.85%), +5cms (5.7%), +5cms (5.4%), +5cms (5.15%), +5cms (4.9%), +3cms (???) Then I got lost and went to bed and had a nightmare where Stephen Hawkings appeared and called me stupid which I agreed. :|

Size 10 Bust 83cms appears to be the pattern paper I have i.e 1cm +small sq.

Just to confuse me further I later found on page 10 of Adapting to Fashion reference to size 8 (Bust size 80cms)pattern!

I don't know if any of this has helped or hindered you @Addiscomber