The Sewing Place

Walking Foot

SewRuthieSews

Walking Foot
« on: November 13, 2018, 08:25:18 AM »
So I finally bought a genuine walking foot for my machine (an older Janome), fitted it had a little practise with it and then took it off as needed zipper foot and buttonhole foot for things I was doing.

I'm not a quilter but a garment sewer. I bought it for use on trickier fabrics like faux leather, faux fur and velvet which tend to stick or walk. Though I used my Ultraglide (aka Teflon foot) for my recent faux leather work and it worked well.

What scenarios would the walking foot be good for? I want to make sure I'm using my investment wisely.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:01:57 AM by SewRuthieSews »

Nuttywife59

Re: Walking Foot
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:48:01 AM »
Ive only used mine for Quilting but it should help on any sewing where you have several layers to sew together to help them through the machine.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:17:59 AM »
It can also be useful when sewing fabrics with checks or stripes as the walking action can prevent "creep" and keep the patterns matched.

BlueCat

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 09:21:48 AM »
I keep my walking foot on all the time, and only changing it to the zipper foot when inserting zips.

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 09:22:13 AM »
I use mine for the creepier sort of knit fabrics too, some of the jerseys which wriggle are better tamed with a walking foot.  Otherwise, as you, I use it for velvets, and other tricky fabrics.  (try stretch velvet, so much better with the WF).  Mine came with my machine but I think I would have bought one anyway.  It's a bit of a fiddle getting it on and off the machine (Bernina) but worth the effort. HTH x

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »
On my old machine I left it on all the time, unless I needed a zip or buttonhole foot. 

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »
Aprospos nothing really except it is about the Janome Walking foot ...

I love the gentle click clack of the WF as the needle bar goes up and down; I find it very soothing when Im quilting away, even to the point that I will use the WF instead of the included IDT foot that came with The Splurgess, just for the sound of it!

Enjoy!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 09:56:57 AM »
I only quilt but have never been able to get on with a walking foot ( generic or specific ) so I gave up
Triumph of hope over experience :D

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
When I had an old straight stitch Singer, years ago, i had a zigzag attachment (a sort of sideways walking foot).  It overlocked the  edges of fraying material when I made trousers.  Anyone else remember these?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 21:49:57 PM »
I've got one!

I did try using it once, but with a more modern (about 20 years old) machine that does swing needle zig-zag and an overlocker there's not much point in setting up the zig-zagger on a vintage machine.  Also it didn't work as well as the buttonholer attachment.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 22:17:12 PM »
I have the Swiss zigagger for my 201K. It works as a basic walking foot on straight stitch setting, and it can make a difference on long seams and layers of slippery fabric. There are walking feet for the old straight stitchers too. I haven't had problems with leather, suede or bike seat faux leather yet, but like you say, there are teflon sheets and feet for sticky fabrics.  A walking foot is ideal when you need to match up checkered and plaid fabrics flawlessly.

Esme866

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 23:59:39 PM »
Wouldn't a WF also be good for long seams, like making drapery, or even on the longer seams for trousers?

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 13:36:37 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.
My next project is a wool coat, don't know if it'll make much difference using a walking foot for that. Wool tends to be fairly well behaved.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 15:41:40 PM »
The advantage of IDT is that you can use a zipper foot with it.  Then you can sew back in the opposite direction on the second side and there is no creep to make the zip unbalanced.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 16:03:37 PM »
I feel a small tut coming on @toileandtrouble  ... Would you mind????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again