The Sewing Place

Style Arc Toni

Catllar

Style Arc Toni
« on: November 15, 2018, 22:59:08 PM »
So I made a Style Arc Toni Designer dress, my second attempt at this pattern and the pattern is now in the bin. :\ If the fabric hadn't cost me  so much it too would be in the bin, but as it is I reckon I can recycle it. Beautiful heavy ( too heavy for the shape of the design)  stretch crepe but the shape of the dress makes me look like a Womble. 
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Missie

Re: Style Arc Toni
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 07:52:47 AM »
Oh I have this on my pinterest board.  I don't fancy looking a womble  :[

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 13:27:29 PM »
That's a shame after all your work.  Hope you manage to salvage the fabric for something more suitable.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 14:28:11 PM »
Oh how annoying. But looking at the design I can see where you're coming from.  I think I'd look like a weeble in it.
I'm sure you can find a nice pattern to use the fabric on.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 14:45:56 PM »
Thats a bummer, but at least you look to have a fair bit of fabric to play with.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 17:56:31 PM »
That's a shame @Catllar . Didn't @DementedFairy have some problems with this one? Perhaps she will spot this thread and tell us the story.

I already look like a womble except my nose isn't quite as pointy.  :S
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 18:05:33 PM »
Oh yes!  I have seen gorgeous versions of the Toni, and I love the collar and neckline shaping on it, but much as I love these drapey odd-shaped dresses, this one simply didn't work for me.  TWICE.  I tried it in a gorgeous drapey jersey, and in a beefier ponte.  I contacted Style Arc [they are always friendly and helpful] and they suggested sewing coins into the tips of the drapes...but that still didn't drape properly and just felt weird.  Both dresses lay in the crate of shame for a considerable time.
THEN the wonderful Ruth of Core Couture rejigged HER failed Tonis by opening that front seam and making them into long coats/cardigans.  This year I finally remembered to do the same to mine, and also curved off the badly drafted 'drape' points...et voilá!  Two very wearable [and much worn] cardigan coats.  Love 'em.  Salvage that fabulous collar drafting, round off the points, and no more womble! Blogged here
C'est moi!

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 19:29:17 PM »
I made the Stitchless TV Bucket coat which has very similar lines. The pointy bits are supposed to be fastened to the inside front edge but I didn't like that at all and cut them free. It is awaiting some serious unpicking at the moment (stuffed at the back of the wardrobe. I'm afraid it didn't look at all like those on the tutorial.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 19:33:51 PM »
That might just be the way to go! Brilliant fix DF!

My first attempt was with a silk jersey ( complete with weights) and it was a mess.   I let it consider its future in the pattern box for a year or so and then saw this yummy stretch crepe in a gorgeous petrol blue and in my mind  I could see the neck detail being lovely - hmm, must have been the funny fags again.  I'm not even going to put a picture up.. MrC fell about laughing when he saw it so that's saying something. You're right DF it is those points that mess the thing up totally. Unusual for SA, who are usually pretty good with the drafting.

So - breathe and go make a couple of flamenco frocks ( yes it's that time of year again) will come back to this one later.

Thanks for the input Greybird - another one to avoid!

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 20:22:41 PM »
Just to mention @Greybird I wanted an edge to edge unlined coat and I was contemplating the Bucket coat but went for the Stylearc Parker coat instead and it is great. So well drafted and it has pockets which are a must on a coat.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:21:30 AM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 13:05:50 PM »
So due to it being a really icky day today and with all the strikes and road blockades preventing
 much in the way of going out, I attacked the Womble dress:

Opened the front, pinned out the flappy sides just to see and tried it on. I look like an escapee from Hogwarts - better than the Womble look but really?

Rooted through patterns and found a pair of pants Sabrina Slims - have made many times and like a lot to wear under tunic - in I go and 20 minutes later have a pair of trousers -no waist band  yet - will do a yoga top. Try on to discover I have cut 2 pairs of front leg  :angry: and they will only go round the thigh of a flamingo.

Fabric is now in the bin. Waste of 25€  Poo and double poo. :angry: :angry:  :gin:

mudcat

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 21:36:41 PM »
So sorry about your pant legs, Catllar.  I did that once a few years ago because I always cut everything out as one layer so i get perfect grain and i forgot to turn one of the pieces over.   :(

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 22:28:56 PM »
Am so going off making stuff for me. Often wind up with a heap of s..t. Probably because I don't take the same care as when sewing for clients could be a reason.