The Sewing Place

Scaleoff on PDF

b15erk

Scaleoff on PDF
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »
Not sure what is happening to my text today, I think the gremlins are afoot!

Anyway, the problem is the scale on my PDF printouts.  I thought I had sorted this out by changing to Nitro, but yet again, it's off.

I'm trying to print off the Bernina shirtdress which I've wanted to make for ages, but the 10cm square, is showing only 9.7.

My question is, how much difference will this make in the overall sizing? 

My other question is, does anyone know how to fix it?

And while I'm at it, does anyone know if SA's are included in Bernina patterns?

Thanks in advance

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Swisslass

Re: Scaleoff on PDF
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »
No seam allowances on Burda patterns

Printing off PDF patterns
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Swisslass

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 13:01:42 PM »
BERNINA patterns!?!?!
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 13:11:37 PM »
Thanks SL.  I'll try to have a look at the Bernina website, but my PC is playing sillybeggars, so not sure whether I'll get any answers before it crashes!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DaisyChain

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 19:35:21 PM »
Hi Jessie,
I had to buy a new laptop last summer. 
Yup, Windows 10  ><  ,the irritating Cantana   >:) and infuriating Microsoft Edge  :angry:

I couldn’t get Microsoft Edge to print out accurately sized PDFs so I replaced it with Adobe reader. It might be worth downloading Adobe reader if you don’t already use it?

Hope you sort out your problem soon & get to make your A Bernina shirt dress.

:toast:       :| 

DaisyChain

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 19:39:21 PM »
OOOps, me again. Not sure why I typed 'A Bernina'. 

Perhaps I started on the Red Medicine too early this evening!!  8)

:toast:      :|   

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 19:59:33 PM »

I'm trying to print off the Bernina shirtdress which I've wanted to make for ages, but the 10cm square, is showing only 9.7.

If it's 0.3cm short on 10cm it will be 3cm short on 100cm - that's about a whole size, but not graded down in the way patterns are normally done, so it will be shorter, have tighter sleeves etc as well as being smaller around the body.

As for fixing it - I know nothing about Windows computers but when I print from the Mac the print menu has an option for scaling to fit the paper or keeping it to 100%  (or any other percentage).  For your pattern to be accurate you need it to print at 100%.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 21:30:13 PM »
Not sure what is happening to my text today, I think the gremlins are afoot!

Anyway, the problem is the scale on my PDF printouts.  I thought I had sorted this out by changing to Nitro, but yet again, it's off.

And while I'm at it, does anyone know if SA's are included in Bernina patterns?

Thanks in advance

Jessie

As previously mentioned I would use Adobe (I always do) but are you printing at 100%? or 'Actual size', the latter should work.  :D
Willing but not always able :)

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
Lilian, I printed one off in Nitro, and the other in Adobe, and they both measured the same :( , both slightly small.

I'm going to leave it for a while, and do some more digging around the problem.  When it happened last time, the scale was spot on, but the pattern printed off huge.  That was the Stylearc Barb trousers, and other people had the same problem.  It caused me an awful lot of work, so I'm going to try to make sure it's right before I print it off.

Jessie