The Sewing Place

Ruler Quilting

Ploshkin

Ruler Quilting
« on: November 16, 2018, 13:38:04 PM »
We've had a couple of threads previously discussing ruler quilting - has anyone had a go yet?
I've got my batik quilt to quilt and I like to try something each time that I haven't done before.  I really want to get to the stage where I can free motion quilt.  I did a sample piece a while back that I made into a knitting bag but going from that to an entire quilt was a bit too much of a leap.
I've been thinking on an off about ruler (template) quilting so I took the plunge and ordered a Westalee ruler foot from Cotton Patch.  It comes with a 12" arc template.  I did toy with the thought of a sampler set but they are so expensive and I know I probably wouldn't use most of the templates so I didn't.  The only other thing I got was the spacing gauge which I thought would be handy.
After a bit of playing about on a scrap to get the tension and machine speed right I went for broke and did this.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I'm reasonably happy with the stitch consistency for a first attempt though I find my stitches longer when going backwards than forwards.  It's not difficult to keep the foot against the ruler and because it's a half inch circle it is easy to see the needle in the middle.  I like the fact that it isn't a hopping foot which I found a bit distracting with my previous attempt at FMQ.  I got a couple of long stitches but not sure whether that is the machine skipping a stitch or me with inconsistent movement (most likely).

The main problem I had was the thread shredding every so often.  I'm just about out of spare thread for samples so I ordered a 1000m reel with the stuff from Cotton Patch.  It was their highly recommended thread for quilting.  I'm not sure I would recommend it.  It's a quite thin polyester thread.  I think it was tending to shred when I was stitching from right to left.  It might be better with a straight stitch needle plate, I have been intending getting one.
I think I am happy enough to try it out on my quilt.  I think I will stitch in the ditch round the sashing first to make it nice and stable then have a go at ruler quilting a design in each of the blocks (gulp).
Life's too short for ironing.

Stitches

Re: Ruler Quilting
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 14:53:54 PM »
I have been thinking of getting some ruler quilting .seeing what you have done I might just take the plunge and get the westerlee one

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 17:08:09 PM »
Very nice  Ploshie, very nice indeed ...
ive heard about this ruler stuff but haven't been interested enough until now to investigate further ...

and I so know what you mean about that damn hopping darning/fmq foot GRRRR ...

So what foot do you use with these?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 18:52:14 PM »
The Westalee ruler foot is a solid metal ring half an inch in diameter that just sits lightly on the surface of the sandwich so that it can be slid around underneath. Some machines do their own ruler feet but the Westalee ones are designed to fit most machines the only variations being high and low shank.
They're Australian made and the main supplier in the UK is Cotton Patch.

I've just done a sample quilted block - I'll take a picture when I've finished my dinner.

rubywishes

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 19:05:37 PM »
@Ploshkin just be sure to remember the "order" in which you raise and lower your needle bar and presser foot :angry:. I bought the Westalee Ruler foot and found this really frustrating and one time I forgot and ended up ramming the two into each other which ended up with a trip to the sewing machine tech for repairs. Totally my fault, they clearly state several times on their packaging that you have to do it all in a particular order. I got such a fright, and got so cheezed off I never used the Westalee foot again. I recently found out that other ruler feet don't have this "restriction" and have now bought another brand Ruler foot which you don't have to worry about "order" of "lift/lowering".
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 19:25:09 PM »
Yes, @rubywishes I had read that.  I usually automatically lift the needle before the presser foot, hopefully I won't forget.
I made up a sample block, from fabric I'm unlikely to use, before I started my batik quilt.  I've sandwiched and quilted it for a bit of practice with the ruler.  It's not perfect of course but I'm reasonably happy with it. 
No feed dogs were deployed in the quilting of this sandwich!

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 07:42:29 AM »
That's great, your stitches are terrific...I really should  get back to having a "go" at it too.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Stitches

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »
@rubywishes which ruler foot do you use please .

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
@Stitches I bought the Juki Ruler foot specific for my Juki. I haven't tried it yet....Ploshkins' pretty arcs have given me a bit of a "nudge on." :D

WendyW

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 16:54:08 PM »
I have a Westalee foot, and one of my Pfaff free-motion feet works pretty well with a ruler also. I've played with it a bit, but not really made anything yet.

Last year I had to be out of town several weeks dealing with a stressful family situation, and when I got home, my machine had a new Sew Steady table and Westalee foot and starter pack. Dh had bought the table, and the salesman sold him on the bundle of "everything she'll need to get started". He had NO CLUE what he had bought. LOL!

Here is my "play" when I first sat down with them. The upper left was not done with rulers. I was trying out the little holes in the deluxe table that are designed for making perfect circles.

ruler play by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Stitches

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
Have just ordered the Westerlee ruler foot

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 09:38:11 AM »
Let us on I how you get on @Stitches  I've finished quilting my batik quilt using just the arc template that came with the foot.  I've nearly finished the binding and will take some pictures when it's done.
I definitely found it much easier doing quilting on small sandwiches than on the whole quilt, and it's not a particularly big quilt. I found it difficult to travel left to right and keep the ruler in place and the stitches even, whist pushing more bulk into the throat space.

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 13:30:49 PM »
Having finished my first attempt at ruler quilting a whole quilt my verdict is a bit on the fence. 
I'm glad that I didn't get the Westalee sampler set as I think I would find most of the templates rather prescriptive.  I would be much more inclined to use arcs and curves that can make any number of designs.  The only ones I can see in the Westalee range are the set of 5 arcs but they are rather pricey.  I think I would probably rather just get better at proper FMQ.

I did find one issue when I changed my sewing machine before I had finished quilting it.  I went from a Pfaff Ambition  to a Pfaff Quilt expression .  I found that on the new machine the IDT foot hangs down lower when it is disengaged and because it does its 'walking action' even when disengaged it was pressing down on the ruler when the ruler was behind the foot and making it rock.  Behind the foot is the place where you would want to use the ruler least but sometimes I found that I needed to or that because I was doing an arc it ended up under the IDT because of the curve.  I had been looking at the Parrs templates (somebody mentioned them but I can't find where now) but as they are all cutouts in a plastic piece there will always be part of it behind the foot.  Same goes for a lot of the Westalee ones.

This is what I did with the arc template that came with the foot.  Nice overall effect if you don't scrutinise it too closely.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Kitten

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 13:58:43 PM »
Hi Ploshkin
You can get the Parrs rulers on Create & Craft but you need a special foot to use them.
Kitten

Elnnina

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 15:17:08 PM »
Ploshkin, regarding the Parrs rulers, there is a place called Parrs Sewing Machines in Malvern and also in Gloucestershire.  I remember looking at these rulers a few years ago and happened to mention them to   my sister who lives in Canada, she belongs to a quilting group over there.  Of course I did nothing, and now Bernina have brought out their own version of rulers – a wee bit expensive for me as I am not really a quilter  but I was sort of thinking I could use these rulers to do some form of free hand embroidery  - I am still dithering of course!!!!!

We happened to go down to Malvern for a couple of short breaks a year or so ago and that is how I found out about these Parr’s rulers.   How far away are you from either of these places?