The Sewing Place

Barbie

toileandtrouble

Barbie
« on: November 17, 2018, 14:18:38 PM »
Last year I acquired a couple of Barbie dolls and Ken to use as models for some dolls' clothes.  One was a talking dentist Barbie and I've just fitted her with 3x AG13 batteries, just to hear what she says.  Four sounds:  "Let's brush!", sounds of brushing, although more like scrubbing floors than teeth, a rather worrying drill sound, which google tells me should be the patient rinsing, and finally "Great checkup!".  (Barbie only talks in !!! marks)
She was part of a series of career dolls, but she wears enough long loose hair for a full size human and high heels in the surgery.  I wonder how many children wanted to become dentists after playing with her?
Googling brought up a description of Ken as the 'ideal boyfriend'.  One listing said he 'says what you want to hear'  but another was mute.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

SkoutSews

Re: Barbie
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 14:29:07 PM »
Reading about the 'career Barbie' brings to mind the old joke about 'divorce Barbie', which comes complete with Ken's house and car.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 16:45:36 PM »
I remember being taken in by the idea of Hacker Barbie many years ago!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 17:33:29 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 01:22:29 AM »
Too funny. Here's my Barbie Pinterest page. Disclaimer: I have a warped sense of humor and apparently others who also do have enjoyed using Barbie & her friends to express that humor. You've been warned. There's an artist, Mariel Clayton who does some very bad things with Barbie and Ken. I've saved some of her tamer work; it's toward the bottom of the page.

There's also some good vintage dolls and clothes on the page. I still have my Barbie. She's one of the rare ones with holes in her feet for the doll stands pegs. Yes, Barbie and I are old now.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 02:36:31 AM »
Coming from behind the iron curtain, I never quite understood Barbie...

I do like Barbie and Ken 50 years later (warning there is some cursing  ;))

Barbie and Ken 50 years later

.... and here is Barbie at 50, love the hair  :devil:

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 06:31:51 AM »
@Manuela I didn't come from behind the curtain and I don't get them either.  I had them, but more as coat hangers for clothing I made then playing with.

And as a kid I was just as happy with art wooden dolls as Barbie for that. 

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 09:06:59 AM »
There was a girl on FB recently (?) that took a barbie, and repainted her to look like a normal (?) girl ...
very talented she was too
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again