The Sewing Place

fabric in Tucson

toileandtrouble

fabric in Tucson
« on: November 18, 2018, 07:37:30 AM »
Anyone know of  good shops for dress making fabrics in Tucson?   A friend of mine will be over next year. I think she will be looking for jersey. Lovely if anyone can help. Thanks folks.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Hachi

Re: fabric in Tucson
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 19:56:10 PM »
(I just posted a reply to the other thread but I saw this thread so I'm moving my comment here)

Hi @toileandtrouble  :D
Unfortunately, Tucson is a fabric desert :S There are quite a few quilt shops but no good dressmaking fabric shops that I know of. (I lived mostly north and northwest side of town so there may be some in the east side of the town?!) I pretty much relied on online shopping for fabric.

Your friend can definitely visit Joann (a big box store equivalent of Hobby Craft but 20 times better), though. Their fabric may not be the best quality, but they have good selection. Fabric is generally cheaper in the U.S. compared to the U.K. Also, Joann has a frequent pattern sale, so if your friend is lucky, she can score commercial patterns (you know, the "big 4") for $2-4 each. The Joann that I used to go to is across from Tucson Mall, so I'm sure your friend will be nearby at some point of her stay in Tucson.

If your friend has a chance, I recommend getting a Sonoran hot dog in Tucson (I used to go to El Guero Canelo). It's a hot dog wrapped in bacon. Every time I go to a food festival here in the UK, I always think that somebody should start a Sonoran dog food truck :D

toileandtrouble

Re: fabric in Tucson
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 20:31:47 PM »
Thank you Hachi!  I'll pass it on. I'm liking the hotdog....
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m