The Sewing Place

Sewing Machine Help

rachieface

Sewing Machine Help
« on: November 18, 2018, 15:34:05 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, so hopefully this post is ok and in the right place.

Basically, I bought a new sewing machine from John Lewis a couple of weeks ago. It's a Toyota Oekaki.

I've had a sewing machine before, but haven't used one in years, so I'm pretty much a beginner again at this point. If you know about the Oekaki machine, it has a feature where you can embroider freehand, which is what drew me to the machine :)

I opened it for the first time about a week ago and tried it out just using the normal sewing function. I then decided to try the Oekaki mode and followed the instructions which told me to change the foot and drop the feed dogs. It all worked great, but when I then tried to put it back to the normal straight stitch mode, the feed dogs wouldn't go back up. The switch doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I'm just wondering if I've done something wrong or I'm missing something? I made sure the needle was up and have also switched it on and off again a few times. If anyone has any ideas then that would be great!

I did get in contact with John Lewis who basically said they can't do anything unless I take it into store, meaning I would have to drive into town, pay for parking and then lug the machine into the store for someone just to have a look at it :(

Sorry for the massive message! And thanks in advance for any advice you may have :) I just want to be able to start sewing  :vintage: x

toileandtrouble

Re: Sewing Machine Help
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 16:15:55 PM »
Usually you have to start sewing again and that brings the feed dogs up. Just turning the handwheel should do it. Had that panic myself once.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 16:20:40 PM »
I had an Oekaki for a while earlier this year, but it was faulty and I returned it (to cut a very long story short!)  I do know that there is an Oekaki helpline the number is 07733138527.  They couldn't help me, but they're worth trying.

@Francesca knows a great deal about the Oekaki, but she is on holiday at the moment.

Good luck!   :)

[Cross-posted with toileandtrouble, whose advice is probably much more useful!]
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 17:02:48 PM »
I agree with @toileandtrouble - you have to start sewing in order for the feed dogs to come back up visibly. I found this out the hard way on my old machine years ago when I started fmq. Gave me a panic at the time - thought my machine had gone wrong. :S You can just use the hand wheel, which will work as well, as per t&t's post. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

rachieface

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 21:36:57 PM »
Thank you for your replies!

@Kenora @toileandtrouble I've actually tried that and it hasn't seemed to have done anything, so I'm guessing it's a fault with the machine :(

@Acorn Thank you for that number, I didn't think of calling them directly. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say :)

toileandtrouble

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 23:57:51 PM »
Did you have the presser foot up and turn the wheel a full turn towards you?

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 14:43:50 PM »
@rachieface   Hope you got your machine fixed. What did the helpline say?

rachieface

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 14:37:05 PM »
@toileandtrouble  Sorry for such a late reply!

I ended up complaining to John Lewis again and they called and said they would collect my broken machine and have sent me a new one :) I haven't had a chance to make sure this one works yet, but fingers crossed it does!

Thanks for your help and suggestions, everyone  :)