The Sewing Place

Another Newbie here!

Hibernogirl

Another Newbie here!
« on: March 31, 2017, 13:55:37 PM »
So glad to have found this forum.  I hope I can contribute as well as learn from others.  I have just got a new Janome 525 and sadly had to retire my old Singer 507 after many years of useful service.  I am pleased to have a 'stretch' stitch for first time and was able to finish a beach dress in jersey stretch fabric.  I think the next project will be to make a soft cover for the machine, maybe use up some scraps of old favourite fabrics that are hard to part with? 

Lantana

Re: Another Newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 14:22:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum. It really is a lovely place to be  :)  Sounds like you are making good use of your new machine already.  :flower:

:vintage:

Snippet

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 15:24:21 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Good plan for your sewing machine cover - I've got all sorts of too-small-for-anything scraps that I can't bear to throw away!

Hibernogirl

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 18:52:15 PM »
I am afraid to look in my storage box as had a ruthless clearout a few yrs ago when someone wanted things to put in a container going direct to African village so off went large collections of childrens crayons, pencils, pens, paper, knitting wool as well as useful lengths of fabric   >:)

I see a few ideas on Youtube to make a cover and even include some outside pockets for frequently used items.  One (american?) had idea to iron on some fleece to reinforce the inside.  Is this item available in GB?

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 19:34:19 PM »

I see a few ideas on Youtube to make a cover and even include some outside pockets for frequently used items.  One (american?) had idea to iron on some fleece to reinforce the inside.  Is this item available in GB?
Yep you can get it here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heatn-Bond-Iron-Fusible-Fleece-White/dp/B001C1Y4EO

Welcome to the forum Hibernogirl  we can help encourage and find things that you really need.. enjoy
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Hibernogirl

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 22:09:00 PM »
Thanks for taking trouble to post link for fleece  :).  It is listed under bedlinen section!  I had already had a browse thru the sewing accessories.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 23:06:41 PM »
Hello and welcome!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum...enjoy your time here. 8)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »
Welcome from me too..... enjoy  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D