The Sewing Place

Useless functions

Renegade Sewist

Re: Useless functions
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 20:25:38 PM »
As an aside, just now when I was scanning the list of unread topics when I saw this again I thought of the government agency I had just gotten off the phone with after a week and a half of phone tag. Result? Now I need to go into the local office and prove I exist. This person was just an appointment setter from a regional office. Useless functions indeed.  ><

Pin tuck foot and guide eh? It happens....
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

WendyW

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 20:49:15 PM »
But found my basket also contained...

That happened to me last time I was at the dealer dropping my machine for a spa treatment. A 4mm rolled hem foot and a couple yards of nice knit hopped into my basket. Strange how such things have a life of their own!

sdBev

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 01:05:43 AM »
...Why do they "improve" functions that don't need improving? ..
I so totaly agree. It is not an Improvement when I have to hunt for a function I use frequent or I must adjust parameters that were perfect before.  IMO it is arrogant. How is it that a new whiz kid’s opinion is more important than my working habits or experence?

KayK

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 17:47:19 PM »
I had to take the automatic needle threader off my Juki TL as it hardly every worked properly and I can thread the needle faster without it!  It also made fitting the walking foot and ruffler/pleater almost impossible as well!  I love the thread cutter which can be operated by my foot or a button on the machine.  But, it does have the world's most useless light.  I used to have a Pfaff Performance 5 which had really poor bobbin cover, very cheap plastic and the plastic underneath the changeable needle plate was so soft it got mis-shapen each time the needle plate was changed.
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 18:08:05 PM »
But, it does have the world's most useless light.
@KayK can you change the bulb for an LED one?
My overlocker had a pathetic, dim bulb and I found an LED one to fit - the difference is amazing.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 18:45:29 PM »
But found my basket also contained a pin tuck foot and guide when I got o the cash out. Now how did that happen.  :o

Free postage?  0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 19:15:16 PM »
@BrendaP how did you guess  :o

Update on the thread cutter. The new blade arrived and has now been fitted even though I couldn't see any thing wrong with the old one, I even sliced my finger getting the old one out.
However I digress, I am going to have to admit that the machine now cuts the threads every time with no tangles, so useless function is now a dream and I have had to sew for the last 2 days just to keep checking it still works.  :loveit:
@WendyW it might be worth spending £6 on a blade for your machine as it sounds like mine was, annoying really as mine never really worked efficiently from day one.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet