The Sewing Place

I'm new from Clynder

Ragtimedoll

I'm new from Clynder
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:31:17 AM »
Thank you for letting me join your site I've been sewing on and off for years little things, however this year I made a winter coat K4225 (A) in blue wool blends it went great!!! I thought I would make another coat V1563 in red so I started every thing was going well. I have done the welted pockets and all the button holes, all sides are joined and fits perfect. Started the sleeves upper and lower sleeves and sleeve bands with lining, joined these sleeve sections together then tried the sleeve on. Nightmare!!!! the sleeve is very tight at the elbow and can't bend my arm. Does anyone have any advice please!!!!

Thanking you in advance
Ragtimedoll

Tamnymore

Re: I'm new from Clynder
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:59:59 AM »
Welcome Ragtimedoll. Don't panic.  0_0 Something can be done. I've 'enlarged' coat sleeves before. It may require you putting an extra bit in the sleeve. Is this the Rachel Comey 'Misses's Loose jacket with contrast details and welt pockets'? If so is it the section with the contrast fabric on the middle sleeve which is tight?
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »
Thank you.

It is a Vogue pattern 'Lialia' by Julia Alarcon these sleeve have three parts to the sleeve and two parts to the lower sleeve it is the upper sleeve that is tight.

Have to dash! I have an 18yr old cat who really howls when she can't find me

Thank you for your help

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 11:44:15 AM »
Ah I see. It's V1562. It does look very fitted. Will making the seams narrower in the sleeve help? You can often get another 1/2" to  3/4"  or so by narrowing seams. Alternatively have you any more of the fabric? If you have enough you could recut the sleeves to make them wider. If you have some fabric but not enough you could consider putting an extra piece in all the way down the sleeve at the seam and then pretend it was intended. To get an even effect that would probably mean widening the armscye which might not be what you want of course

I have put a long narrow triangular strip in a sleeve before now to widen it and it worked fine but I don't think you would want that here. But I certainly would consder how an extra bit could be added. As the sleeves are pieced it should be possible.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »
Hi Tamnymore,
thank you! you have been very helpful. First, I will try and get enough from the seam allowance to make it wider. If that does not give me enough  (this sleeve also has a lining to be inserted). I shall re-cut the upper sleeve and make it wider.
This pattern has a very very fitted upper sleeve but the area from the forearm down to the wrist is not fitted.
I shall try all options before moving on to the rest of the coat. I do have enough fabric! I alway buy a metre extra just in case which I alway end up using.

Thank you
Regards Ragtimedoll

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »
If you are going to cut a new sleeve, would this be of any help?

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 13:36:57 PM »
Thank you! yes this looks good because everything stays the same you have just increased the middle section. Never seen this adjustment before. Everyday is a school day.

Thank you

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 19:10:56 PM »
Hi there, welcome.
It's not much good me putting my ten pennyworth in because the advice you've been given is absolutely spot on. Just wanted to welcome you aboard

sewingj

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 19:25:40 PM »
Hi there, I'm about to start the Kwiksew coat you mentioned - did you have any problems with it?

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 19:30:01 PM »
Thank you for the welcome sures1tch.
I tried the adjustment to the pattern, however with increasing the middle section by  1 1/4" following the instructions for Fit for real people, however it lowers the cap on the sleeve which is not what I want to do. So still trying to figure out a system will keep going.

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 19:37:17 PM »
Hi Sewingj
no I had no problems it went really smooth that is why I decided to make the Vogue coat which was going very accept for the arms.
I covered my buttons with the fabric I used for the coat because in my view they just looked better. I also overlocked all the seams on the fabric and lining. I wear this coat out with a broche and proud of my sewing

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 13:56:04 PM »
Welcome @Ragtimedoll - nice to meet you. :flower:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 14:18:45 PM »
Thank you and you  @Kenora this site is like a maze there are all types of topics to view