The Sewing Place

Advice on business name please.

crafter

Advice on business name please.
« on: November 19, 2018, 00:03:01 AM »
So, I've started to do a few craft fairs.  Got the bug after doing stuff for the school fair.  Organisers keep asking for my business name and I hadn't thought about it until now and cannot think of anything.

My daughter came up with "Absolutely Fabric".  Domain name is available.  There is a shop up North called Absolutely Fabrics (with an s), but I don't think that's a problem for little old me.

So, what do you think of that name?  I cannot decide whether its a bit naff.  Please be honest - wont be offended.

Sakar

Re: Advice on business name please.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 07:06:09 AM »
I like the name  :)
What's the most thing you make? Clothes? Garments? Patchwork?
Do you want to make a website or just a name for presentation or "made by" labels?

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »
It took us ages to think of a name, we do lots of fairs, a large 3 day one this weekend..we decided on NiceStuff, (we did thing about CrapStuff)
You could shorten yours. AB Fab! :D

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:21:26 AM »
To me "Absolutely Fabric" suggests that you sell fabric, not crafted items. Could you use a made up word such as fabrilicious or fabriculous (both of which maybe in use) instead?

Kad

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 09:23:49 AM »
I tend to agree with Stitchintime
To me "Absolutely Fabric" suggests that you sell fabric, not crafted items. Could you use a made up word such as fabrilicious or fabriculous (both of which maybe in use) instead?

How about something like ' Fabricraft'?
 To my mind, it suggests items crafted from fabric although it doesn't specify the type of item ( may be liberating or too vague for your purposes)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:39:05 AM »
I think fabricraft is already taken ... it rings a bell somewhere in the back of my mind.

What do you primarily make/sell ??? When I sold knickknacks, curios , pictures and books on the antique trail many, many, many moons ago I called myself Picturebook ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »

I agree.

Were you thinking Absolutely Fabric after the TV programme?

What's wrong with using your own name?  Maybe just the first name ( I don't know what your's is)

Jenny's Fabrications, Claire's Fabriclations, Anna's Fabriclicious Makes ......
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

crafter

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 15:18:53 PM »
Thank you ladies for all your suggestions.  I think I have decided.  Not Ab Fab as I did think it did think it a bit naff, and it did sound like fabric supply.  I don't want to use my own name, I find it a bit embarrassing. I'm shy :|

So, as I am pretty sure that I have decided I will announce it in the Cafe, for anyone interested, as I believe that it not searchable.  Please let me know if I am wrong.